Seaworthiness

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Seaworthiness

Postby RichardC » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:35 pm

Hi,
I am a wannabe CC19 owner, not yet in a position to buy but working on it (mainly persuading MrsC).

I am curious to know from those who have one, how seaworthy you would judge her to be.

The stability curve is pretty impressive, and I understand the cockpit is self-draining, but I've seen it said that she can take in water through the outboard well.

I know that someone has circumnavigated the UK in one and I have seen reports of crossing to the Isle of Man. How far would an experienced sailor be prepared to sail one in the right conditions?

We would mostly be coastal hopping as a family, not seeking to do anything too drastic. I'm just curious.

One bucket list trip for me is to get to the Scilly Isles under sail. Would anybody do that (if time to wait for the right conditions) or too much of an ask?
RichardC
CC19 Association Member

Re: Seaworthiness

Postby zimp » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:52 pm

When she is heeling at higher speeds she can take in some water through the outboard well. No problem, but you are getting wet shoes.
When we are sailing her on the IJsselmeer the waves can slow her down but she always brings you home.
Even in waves of more the one meter we never have spray in the cockpit.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Re: Seaworthiness

Postby bellalistair » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:27 pm

Hi Richard,

For the size, I consider Tystie (our CC19) to be rather impressive as regards her seaworthiness. As has been said the water in the cockpit issue is a potential wet feet problem rather than any indication of stability concerns.
The wet feet issue (if you aren't paying attention to where yours are) is that the outboard well acts at times almost like a self bailer only in reverse, but the cockpit is deep and even with excessively heal, water is not close to entering below decks even without the washboard in place. We sail in the Irish Sea and have had some good trips including in rather large seas on occasion with no cause for concern (except realising we couldn't see the fishing pot marks that suddenly seemed to surround us!).
Others are probably better placed to comment on the Scillies, not waters I particularly know, but with time to pick your tides/weather window I would consider it viable.

Hopefully one day you will be able to join us, the CC19 are a cracking sail.

Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat