CC19 PHRF Rating

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

CC19 PHRF Rating

Postby Norman Sanders » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:16 am

Anyone aware of a PHRF rating for the CC19, or the measurements that would enable the calculation of one?
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Re: CC19 PHRF Rating

Postby Tony Treen » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:09 pm

Norman,

There is a thread under "Technical/Racing" on this topic. Those posts indicate an OGA rating of 0.832.

Also similar question in Sept 2020 on the Association Members Facebook page. I posted "Starcross YC had the annual CHAOS (CHase Around the Ore Stone) cruiser race last Saturday. Exmouth safe water buoy, around the Ore Stone at the north end of Torbay, and back. The club uses a Portsmouth Yardstick of 1250. Three Cape Cutters took part (we have four in the club), and came 4th, 5th and 7th out of 9 boats on handicap. The CC which came 4th on handicap (Wadudu was 5th) had an elapsed time of 4h 31m 10s for the 20M distance, and on handicap was 8m 0s behind the first boat. So 1250 handicap is probably not too far out."

And on last years CHAOS, I actually won on handicap - although this was due as much to beneficial wind change conditions as to my sailing skills... All other boats in the race were 22ft+.

The RYA 2012 Cruiser PY List gives 1335 for a Cornish Shrimper. And we all know that the CC19 sails much better than a Shrimper! Shrimpers are not listed in the current RYA NHC Base List.

Hope this helps, Tony
Tony Treen
CC19 Association Member

Re: CC19 PHRF Rating

Postby Norman Sanders » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:39 am

Very helpful, thank you!

I was also able to get all of the sail measurements from Tim Altham at Honnor Marine. I believe that the PHRF calculators will be able to use that data to do a calculation, but I've been too busy messing with the boat herself to do that submission. It's on the to-do list...

S.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat