Shipping CC19 in 20' Container

For general discussion about the Cape Cutter 19

Shipping CC19 in 20' Container

Postby Norman Sanders » Sun May 29, 2022 11:21 pm

One of the key design criteria for the CC19 was that it could be shipped, complete with trailer (I believe) inside a standard 20' shipping container.

The interior dimensions of the 20' container are 19'4" in length, 7''9" wide, and 7'10" tall.

We are thinking of shipping our new CC19 from the US to France. The boat is sitting on an original Burquip (S. African) trailer.

While the trailer should fit the container, and while the boat alone should fit the container, the boat on the trailer, even if you remove the rudder, exceeds the maximum length.

Have any of you used the "20' shipping container" option, and do you have any helpful hints on whether/how that is done?

Thanks.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Re: Shipping CC19 in 20' Container

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:33 am

I shipped Kaliope from the factory at Honnor Marine to Greece by container ( despite it being an easy road trip). I quickly learned it would not fit in a 20 foot container. Containering from SA in the early years were two boats in a 40 foot container with trailer hitches overlapping in the middle. So I used a 40 foot container finally.
Good luck.

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby chrisr » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:12 am

Can you remove, or temporarily shorten the trailer draw bar/hitch?

I've seen this done, then sleeved to reinstate.
chrisr
Non Association Member

Postby Norman Sanders » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:40 am

Thanks to both Chrises. To shorten the trailer you would have to cut off the front 2-3' of the tongue at a point where it seems to me it would be critically weak when you reattached it, even if you rewelded it heavily.

I think we are simply going to have to consider going to a boat shipper and let them figure it out, rather than assuming that the vaunted "fit in a 20' container" criterion was factually correct. I don't know exactly how that issue was pitched by the factory back in the Capetown days - I only know about that from reading reviews of the boat, which always emphasize that crucial aspect of the design.

If Dudley Dix is reading this, what is your recollection?

Anyway, thanks for your helpful ideas and experiences.

S.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:17 pm

I found a picture of, I assume, arriving sn3 and sn4 in the Netherlands about 22 years ago. No rudder, no trailer.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Norman Sanders » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:18 pm

zimp wrote:I found a picture of, I assume, arriving sn3 and sn4 in the Netherlands about 22 years ago. No rudder, no trailer.....

Thank you for this, Bert. I'm assuming that that is a 40' container, right? Did you or the other Dutch owner of hull #3 ever get trailers for your boats? If so, did you import them, or have them made locally?

We are wondering what to do in case we ship from the US (where I have one of the original South African-made trailers) to France.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:05 pm

Norman Sanders wrote:
zimp wrote:I found a picture of, I assume, arriving sn3 and sn4 in the Netherlands about 22 years ago. No rudder, no trailer.....

Thank you for this, Bert. I'm assuming that that is a 40' container, right? Did you or the other Dutch owner of hull #3 ever get trailers for your boats? If so, did you import them, or have them made locally?

We are wondering what to do in case we ship from the US (where I have one of the original South African-made trailers) to France.

I agree with you Norman, it seems that two CC19s have been shipped in one 40' container to the Netherlands. I bought my CC19, second hand, without a trailer. I bought a trailer from a Dutch trailer factory. (https://kalftrailers.com/) The price of this type of trailers is nowadays about 4000 euro's.

Can you not disassemble your trailer so it fits in a 20 feet container? Or buy an trailer in France like this https://www.tex-equipements.com/produit ... bs-m1200f/ ?
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby chrisr » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:17 pm

Not from personal experience, but from posts on other forums (Drascombe and Swallow)....and not being funny but....it seems that you would nowadays be highly unlikely to be allowed by the French authorities to use your old fashioned, non CE marked trailer in their country. Perhaps as a non resident passing thru, but for a France based boat in this instance?

Some folk apparently are now experiencing difficulties in Europe using their British (ie now non-EU) trailers, that is when residents/based in a foreign country. Please check.

Might it be best to abandon your SA trailer in the USA? Buy new in France, if that is where the boat is to be based.

Im not "biased"; I am also aware of similar difficulties with US trailers in the UK.
chrisr
Non Association Member

Postby Norman Sanders » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:25 pm

chrisr wrote:Not from personal experience, but from posts on other forums (Drascombe and Swallow)....and not being funny but....it seems that you would nowadays be highly unlikely to be allowed by the French authorities to use your old fashioned, non CE marked trailer in their country. Perhaps as a non resident passing thru, but for a France based boat in this instance?

Some folk apparently are now experiencing difficulties in Europe using their British (ie now non-EU) trailers, that is when residents/based in a foreign country. Please check.

Might it be best to abandon your SA trailer in the USA? Buy new in France, if that is where the boat is to be based.

Im not "biased"; I am also aware of similar difficulties with US trailers in the UK.

You may be right, Chris, and we are thinking of that. My brother has been in touch with the authorities in Saint Malo and we are considering options.
Norman Sanders
CC19 Association Member

Return to General Chat