Mooring

Improvements and solutions

Mooring

Postby Richard Walker » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi Guys and Gals,
I sail on the River Dee between Wales and the Wirral. I have to keep the boat on a swinging mooring, the question is:
Can anyone tell me how I can do this without having to slacken the bob stay/water stay, which necessarily entails dropping the Genoa and lashing it to the deck?
There must be some kind of mooring bridle or something that will allow me to do this.
Look forward to some knowledge or ideas please.

Regards
Richard G
Richard Walker
CC19 Association Member

Re: Mooring

Postby Andy Yates » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 pm

I think Dennis has a picture of what he does with Mary Ann
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:03 am

Kaliope spends 7 months a year on a swinging mooring in Greece. I have a pickup line that goes around the sampson post. As I leave the boat on it's mooring I attach a heavier line with a stainless steel spring loaded hook to the bracket at the base of the waterstay. The pick up line is then slack acting as a back up.. These two lines are attached to a swivel just below the surface. From the swivel I have 2 x 26mm lines going to the sea bed where they attach to about 2x 7 meter chain with 15 kg anchors at each end.... That is suitable for my summer mooring. It is only in 2.5 meters of clear (warm) water so I can inspect regularly. It works very well and the boat is very secure....

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:47 pm

Andy is correct, I have three photos in the gallery "Mary Ann Modifications" which shows how I raise the bobstay to prevent fouling of the mooring rope.

Mary Ann is on a swinging mooring eight months of the year. My previous boat (a Winkle Brig) was on the same mooring. It suffered from the bobstay rubbing against the mooring line (12mm Nylon 3 strand rope). The rope wore quite quickly due to rubbing against the bobstay. Worse than that, the cyclical on-off sideways pressure by the mooring line against the bobstay eventually cause fatigue fracture of the bobstay fitting (a 8mm SS eyebolt) fitted to to the stem of the boat. Because of this I decided that my nice new CC19 would not suffer the same way.

Hence the arrangement shown in the photos.

This allows me to raise the bobstay out of the way of the mooring rope. I then tension the bobstay, which prevents the bowsprit from lifting and allows the yankee/genoa to stay in place.

The water authority (Northumbrian Water) insist that there is a secondary chain mooring fitted. I used to connect this to the stem bobstay/winch fitting. However this could not be released from deck. I now bring this onto the foredeck and attach it to an eyenut fitted to the end of the bowsprit pivot bolt.

Both the rope mooring rope and the secondary chain are connected to a substantial swivel attached to the mooring buoy.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Richard Walker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks Andy, Chris and Dennis,
I am in a six knot current at peak inflow into the estuary and would not like to put that much strain on the Waterstay bottom bracket, (advice from Honor Marine)
Dennis, I have looked at the pictures of Mary Ann but don't understand how you tension the water stay after lifting it out of the way such that that you can leave the genoa in place.
Regards
Richard
Richard Walker
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:31 pm

[quote="Richard Walker"I have looked at the pictures of Mary Ann but don't understand how you tension the water stay after lifting it out of the way such that that you can leave the genoa in place.[/quote]

Hello Richard

The bobstay is both raised and tensioned in the photographs. The Dyneema line which is attached to the bobstay (which is chain on Mary Ann) takes the strain, it passes through a bullet fairlead attached to the side if the bowsprit.

I release the tension on the genoa halyard before raising the bobstay, I tension and make fast the Dyneema line using a snapshackle onto the bowsprit pivot bolt, re-tension the bobstay, and finally re-tension the genoa halyard.

When the halyard is re-tensioned the bowsprit lifts slightly until the load is taken up by the vertical portion of the bobstay and the Dyneema line. I only put sufficient tension in the halyard as is necessary to keep the genoa comfortably in place.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Richard Walker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:43 am

Dennis,
That's great thank you.
My waterstay is wire so I will try and see if that will work, if not, I will swap fro chain.
Someone at the sailing club suggested just lashing the tiller over to starboard so the bow always swings to port away from the mooring chain. Any thoughts?
Regards
Richard
Richard Walker
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:39 pm

Hello Richard

We have different mooring situations.
Mary Ann is moored in still water, but when the wind is blowing she constantly swings from side to side as indeed do all the other boats on Kielder water.

With the sort of tidal flow you have, lashing the tiller to one side may have the desired effect, or it may still oscillate. The only way you are going to find out is to try it. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Modifications