Solar Panels

Improvements and solutions

Solar Panels

Postby ianrmaciver » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:45 am

Any advice on , or recommendations for solar panels.
I would like to have a panel that is permanently installed ,or easy to rig/de-rig.
I'm not sure if panels are rugged enough to be walked on , or indeed left in position on a mooring.

Ian
CC 85 Minnie
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Hello Ian.

I have just posted a picture in the album "Mary Ann Modifications" of my revised solar panel arrangements.

This will be the third season with this particular panel, I think Ladybird has a similar panel mounted on deck between the king post and the hatch.

I have a regulator fitted and use a 26 Ah battery. I never have to recharge the battery.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:22 am

Hello Ian,

I fitted a 20w panel and Stecca controller from Marlec. It just fits in aft of the samson post. According to the website it is safe to walk on. I try not to but have done, I don't find it gets in the way.

http://www.marlec.co.uk/off-grid-products/solar-panels/spectra-solar-power/

http://www.marlec.co.uk/off-grid-products/solar-panels/solar-controllers/steca-solar-regulators/

I installed the PR 1010 controller as it has a display that tells you battery status and charging status etc.
It really works.:)
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:14 pm

Thanks Guys ,
Just what I was hoping for , permanent position and rugged enough to allow the occasional footfall.
How have you "fixed " them , screwed or bonded?
Which manufacturer did you use Dennis?
I have two substantial batteries fitted ( total 180 Ah ) which I hope may allow me to avoid using a controller.....interested in your thoughts.
I can be a heavy power user with auto helm , coolbox etc. and sail overnight on longer passages.
Thanks again,
Ian
CC 85 Minnie
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am

ianrmaciver wrote:
How have you "fixed " them , screwed or bonded?
Which manufacturer did you use Dennis?
I have two substantial batteries fitted ( total 180 Ah ) which I hope may allow me to avoid using a controller.....interested in your thoughts.

Hello Ian

I have until this season simply attached the solar panel with double sided adhesive tape. I have changed to attachment by 4 M5 SS screws and nuts.
The reason for this is that the panel was very difficult to remove (if required) when fixed by tape.

I assume that you have two (identical) 90 Ah batteries connected in parallel.
You will not need a controller if the solar panel has a small enough output, but that defeats the object somewhat. Frankly, controllers are now not expensive, so I see no reason not to fit one.

I have attached the information for the (20 watt) panel that I use. The same panel is sold under a variety of trade names including NASA. A Google of 20 watt flexi solar panels should produce the right results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Modifications