Raising the boom

Improvements and solutions

Raising the boom

Postby x-man12345 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:21 am

Hello guys,
I have been looking at the mod Dennis has made by raising his boom. I would like to do the same for at least three reasons.
- The boom will clear the spray hood properly
- It will help the neck ache I get looking under the boom
- It will help the boom clear my baldy head.

I see that Dennis has a couple of circular mast bands, I cannot do the same on Ladybird because the transition from Octagon to round on our mast is longer. I would either have to make an octagon mast band (not easy to get exactly spot on) or fit a plate to the mast. The plate I have in mind would fit to three flats of the mast and would be made in such a way that it would clear the gap in the tabernacle when the mast is lowered. My only worry is putting holes in the mast.
Has anybody else raised their boom?
Any comments.
Thanks
Ian
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:51 am

Hi Ian,
I carried out the " Dennis Mod " on Minnie using mast bands from Classic Marine . Very straightforward , and good results .
It was on an HM mast , so with a circular section.
My preference would be to plane / sand the octagonal section to circular , at the height you wish to fit the bands.
An additional benefit of the mod , is that if you use eye nuts on the clamping bolts of the bands , they provide a good anchor point for a whisker pole.
Good luck,
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:16 am

Hello Ian(s)

Another option was posted on (I think) the original Yahoo forum. It involved an extension to the tabernacle which was attached to the gooseneck bolt holes. The advantage was that no modification was required to the boat.

However, I consider the Classic Marine mast bands a more elegant solution.

I had to lower the transition from square to round on my HM mast by about 1 inch to give the height I wanted. It is an easier proposition from octagonal to round.

It is a mod worth doing whichever way you do it.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm

The only real downside to this is that you move the sails centre of effort higher and move those heavy bits of wood called the gaff and the boom higher, both having a negative effect on the righting moment. What does that mean in practice? Well it will mean having to reef down earlier and may have a small effect on the overall stiffness.

I would probably not do it if I sailed in a good deal of windy open water, but probably works perfectly well on more sheltered waters. The advantage you have is an sa mast by the sound of it, which is lighter than the HM one.

Have you tried using a strop at the gooseneck instead of a shackle or the cringle hooks? As the main is loose footed, a strop there will raise the end of the boom anyway and may give you enough headroom without raising it all.

Mike B's boat had no issue sailing to windward with the spray hood up, although his was a tecsew one, so may have been a bit lower. He did use about a 6 inch strop at the gooseneck though.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Dennis wrote:Hello Ian(s)

Another option was posted on (I think) the original Yahoo forum. It involved an extension to the tabernacle which was attached to the gooseneck bolt holes. The advantage was that no modification was required to the boat.

I have found the photo of the mod.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/capecutter19/photos/albums/750066213/lightbox/2122379777

You probably have to login to Yahoo to see it though.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby x-man12345 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:30 am

Hello guys,
Thanks for the input.
Planning on a combination of octagonal mask bands and a bridge piece.
Photos will follow as soon as I have made it. M6 eye nuts on the fwd side for sure. Really want a wooden whisker pole.
Not too worried about reefing early, we normally do anyway.
Hope to see some of you in Falmouth in May. If anyone needs any advice about the area, send me a message we will try and help.
Ian and Heather
x-man12345
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 pm

x-man12345 wrote:Hello guys,
Really want a wooden whisker pole.

Hello Ian

It all sounds good to me.

Re the whisker pole, make your own, it is very easy.

I used a piece of Douglas Fir cut square, then planed octagonal, and then planed the corners off again. Ended up with sixteen sides which I converted to round with coarse abrasive paper.
Bought SeaSure stainless steel fittings at my local chandler (Trident Marine).

A pleasant afternoon's work.

Looking forward to seeing the results at Mylor.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Whisper pole

Postby SimonW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 pm

Dennis, you are a skilled carpenter as evidenced by your fit out. I would never have thought of that and was resorting to an ally pole as I can't seem to find a quality wooden pole. I think it would take me far longer than an afternoon:D
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

If you cannot make your own wooden pole or get round to sourcing an ally one, you can always ask Kathryn to come and pole out the genoa / yankee with the boat hook, the pole may not look elegant but Kathryn always does!;)
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Greybeard » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Chris Wicks wrote:the pole may not look elegant but Kathryn always does!;)

You old smoothie! What are you after? :rolleyes:

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Modifications