outboard well insert

Improvements and solutions

outboard well insert

Postby Ian Allen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:16 am

Hi guys,
Here are a couple of pictures of the well insert for Tiptoe. From under the boat it fits flush with the hull and of course there is a gap around the motor leg for drainage and exhaust water. The well fills up to the waterline of course. We sailed the boat once with four people aboard and there was a marked decrease in water ingress to the cockpit. In fact very little came into the cockpit as opposed to quite a bit previously. I plan to try to remedy what does find its way in whilst heeled in bumpy conditions by blocking the gap I presently have at the ends of the well surround and perhaps just have holes with bungs in those in the event of rain or spray accumulating around our feet that needs draining.
Cheers,
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian Allen
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:30 am

This looks good and I hope it works well. We often sail 4 up so experience the footbath effect. I always thought this was a special feature for the Med / Aegean to help keep us cool... Wouldn't do with it!!
:cool:
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:29 pm

I quite often reposition people to avoid it. There's always someone happy to sit on the leeward rail or with feet in the anchor well. As a dinghy sailor I'm always looking to run a flat boat.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:03 am

There are two factors to take into consideration. Firstly there is the ingress of water into the cockpit which can be annoying. Secondly there is the braking effect of the well itself when a motor is not fitted as is invariably the case with Sarie Marais (outboards not allowed on sailing boats on Rutland Water). A more permanent device fitting flush to the hull but with a dinghy type self bailer would be ideal.
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ian Allen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Gosh Chris, looking at where you sail the wet feet would be an attraction I think! Here in New Zealand we long ago traded our crocks for sea boots - but summer is coming. Still, no water in the cockpit is my ultimate aim and I'll let you all know how it goes when I've sailed more in various conditions with the new insert. I'm not sure whether the well suround in the production boats is continuous or whether it has a gap before it meets the transom for drainage, but when I have closed that off with the option of bungs, I'll let you know how it performs. As the dodgy politicians say, I am cautiously optimistic!
Ian Allen
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:53 pm

All of you who have pre HM Cape Cutters should have a rubber plug for the outboard well, which fits around the outboard.

I know Bob has tried to source the same material as that used in the SA boats but has never been able to do so.

The SA version was a well engineered plug with a stainless steel bolt holding it in place.

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Re: outboard well insert

Postby Robert Alston » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:40 am

Simon

Here is a sketch showing the SA outboard well plug. It works very well as you say.

ATB

Robert Alston
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Alston
CC19 Association Member

Postby ColinMcD » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi all -

This may be developing along the wrong thread (Modifications?) but if I manage to upload it, here are pictures of my solution to the outboard motor well. I think I got the notion when I looked at the fold-down plastic crate some caterers had left behind after a small function at work last year, but my wife Randi said our local supermarket used the same thing and came home one evening with a freebie courtesy of the shop manager. I cut a single flat from the base of the crate having made a rough template on the boat with cardboard. I then spent 5 minutes with my electric jigsaw and some sandpaper to soften the edges and came up with this.

I am as chuffed as heck: can't think of any way to improve it! Stops water splashing in; stops sheets and mooring lines running out, drains as if it wasn't there, and actually looks pretty neat and tidy too. The rebate around the well looks as if it were made for it. I suppose if I was being super-picky I might wish it stopped water entering in a big seaway, but that has never (yet) bothered us and I suppose then I would probably have to seriously compromise as regards the ability to drain.

I can recommend it if you can lay hands on a similar crate (do Clas Ohlson do them?)

Colin McDougall
Foxglove 56
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:24 pm

ColinMcD wrote:Hi all -

This may be developing along the wrong thread (Modifications?)

Colin McDougall
Foxglove 56

You are correct Colin. Thanks :)

Hence I have moved it from "Forum and Website Comments" to "Modifications".
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Thu May 12, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks for the usefull info about a well plug.
I replaced the Honda 8HP by a Yamaha 6HP.
The Yamama is less bulky than the Honda, but leads to more water comin from the well.
Most of the time I'm wearing crocs :-) but may I'm going to make a well plug.
Bert, CC19, #004, s/y Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Return to Modifications