Old Gaffers Association Handicap

For those of us who wish to be a little bit more competitive with our boats.......

Old Gaffers Association Handicap

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:30 am

Folks

Having entered this year's Round the Island race I've been sent a handicap form to complete. This will enable the Old Gaffers Association (OGA) to calculate a handicap for the Cape Cutter 19. I've spoken to Simon Head and he doesn't have some of the requested dimensions, so I thought I ask if anyone does.

A number of CC19's have done this race before, and the OGA has collected a number of measurements before - but none seem to match. If we can agree what the dimensions are Simon will produce a document which can be accessed by members via the website.

Information required:-

LOA length on deck excl bowsprit
LWL water line excl rudder
Beam widest part excl rubbing strakes
Draft (plate up)
Draft (plate down)
Fore triangle - "..measured from the foot of the mast at deck level to the sheave of the highest sail, and the sheave of the jib outhaul of the eye of the fitting of the furthest forward forestay setting the furthest forward headsail."
Mainmast - boom, mast and gaf sides of the mainsail

I'm going off to measure the fore triangle today. Please post below if you know any of the above, or differ from the information on the .com website.

Russell
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:59 pm

And back to "YOU'RE OUT OF CLASS MY BABY" apologies to Chris Farlow

David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Measuring

Postby David Hill » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi,

I too have received the mail re measuring. However, my email says that I need to complete the measurements only if Moonstruck is not a standard Capecutter. A standard one gets a handicap of 0.832. And no, whilst I was tempted to add a spinnaker a la Sea Badger I have left Moonstruck as standard.

We should aim to get a beer in at Cowes!

Cheers,

David
David Hill
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:48 pm

I was told that they don't have measurements for a 'standard' CC19, as all of the ones they've seen so far are different. I personally think the manufacturer and/or class should state what a 'standard' one is. Then, we only say how we are different from 'standard'.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hill » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:41 am

That's odd. I know you entered well before me, so I wonder if they decided they did have a standard after all? Was your email from a Sarah Berry? From her email:

"It could be that Moonstruck is a standard Cape Cutter 19, in which case the rating is 0.832 but just in case she is not standard I thought it best to send you a form."

Looking at my results from 2 years ago, the rating of 0.832 is unchanged. You may have seen my write-up of my last race on this forum, and in it I mention that Sea Badger used a spinnaker. So it could be someone (not me, I hasten to add!) has flagged this and this year gaffers are being asked to confirm any changes.

Either way - sorted out a mooring yet for Cowes?

Cheers,

David
David Hill
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am

David

Sarah Benny's e-mail said, "Thank you for your entry into the Round the Island Race. As per Notice of Race 5.8, boats entered for the Gaffers Class will be allocated a rating by the Old Gaffers Association. In order for them to provide you with a rating, can I please ask you to complete their attached rating form?"

As for a mooring, I'm going to keep Zephyr at Bucklers Hard for all of June. That will allow me to get to the Yarmouth Old Gaffers event, the RTIR and leave two weekends spare - one of which I'm on a cycling event but the other I would use for cruising.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:32 pm

See: size does count!!

Perhaps we should consider a certificate issued by Simon, as Class Measurer (?), showing the date of hull
manufacture and certifying that the hull came from the manufacturer's one design mould at that date.

This would hopefully avoid details of engine size etc. unless requested in the future.

Gennakers are the obvious MODERN development.

David
"Measure for Measure"
Hudson
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hill » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

There you go - between your Sarah email and mine something happened as mine started as yours word for word, but then went on to talk about standards and 0.832. Perhaps it was your form that was used as the standard, and they kept the same rating as last year?

Anyway, enough of measuring - sailing. Today I was rigging Moonstruck, making sure all the bits still work and nothing had mysteriously vanished into the ether over winter. All systems are go, and the first sail will be had early next week.

I'm still sorting out a mooring for the RTI. Fingers crossed I can get another one close to the marinas.

Cheers,

David.
David Hill
Non Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:54 am

David Hudson wrote:See: size does count!!

Perhaps we should consider a certificate issued by Simon, as Class Measurer (?), showing the date of hull
manufacture and certifying that the hull came from the manufacturer's one design mould at that date.

This would hopefully avoid details of engine size etc. unless requested in the future.

Gennakers are the obvious MODERN development.

David
"Measure for Measure"
Hudson

Hi David

As you have been the first to raise the issue of racing handicaps (and very valid too I might say!) I think that you would be great for the job!:)

I do not know that much about the whole handicap business. I think as "Class Measurer" you could have a job for life- and there are few of those around at the moment!!

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:04 pm

I will investiate and return.

Truly yours
Fu Manchu
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Racing