2010 Round the Island race

For those of us who wish to be a little bit more competitive with our boats.......

2010 Round the Island race

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Congratulations to Sea Badger II (Mike Brooke CC87) who has come first in the "Spirit of Tradition Gaffers " class this year.

I see that the Cornish Shrimpers had their own class this year, I presume that they were getting fed up with being beaten by the CapeCutters;).

Happy sailing

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

2010 rtir

Postby David Pratt » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:51 pm

I have been in touch with Mike to congratulate him, and thought this extract from his reply would be of interest to you.
"Great to hear from you, David, and yes we did have another epic circumnavigation in a tad under 11 hours! Gusty N-NW wind meant for a good deal of beating and after a wonderful downwind lead at the Needles had been whittled away (classic RTIR stuff!) we finally managed to get the best of the Shrimpers behind us as he bottled out on Ryde Sands and we sped on through his lee despite the encouragement of the inshore RNLI to tack out! All in all, great fun and banter but not much sleep with a 0510 start and overnight trip home at the end to catch the tidal gate.... shades of Theo's Future"
David Pratt
Non Association Member

Rtir

Postby Shrimper19 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 pm

I too would like to congratulate Mike on his result this year. It is always interesting to see how the CC's and Shrimpers fair. I took part in 2007 and 2008 and to experience first hand how close we all finish after a 50 mile race is quite amazing. I have missed out on the last 2 years due to our International Shrimper Weeks but hope to compete next year.

Long may the friendly rivalry continue.

Dennis, the Shrimpers have had their own RTIR class trophy since 1993 (some 5 years before the first CC was built):rolleyes:

Would be good to see more of both Classes on the start line next year.

rgds

Steve Mitchell
Spray (Shrimper No 19)
Shrimper19
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:28 pm

[quote="Shrimper19"]
Dennis, the Shrimpers have had their own RTIR class trophy since 1993 (some 5 years before the first CC was built):rolleyes:

Hello Steve

I stand corrected. Although I must point out that my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I made the statement.

You are right when you say that should be more Shrimpers and Cape Cutters taking place in such events.

I would like to think that the capecutter numbers would eventually rivel those of the (currently) 1000+ Shrimpers. But I reckon it would take another 90 years of production to do it.;)

As you say, long may the friendly rivalry continue.

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:43 pm

Congratulations Mike. I gather you used all your local knowledge!

Super to see the Shrimpers contributing to the forum. Hi Shrimper 19.

David
Tokoloshe CC111
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Shrimper19 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:53 pm

Hello David,

I trust you and Tokoloshe are having a good season

rgds

Steve
Shrimper19
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:29 pm

I just found this fabulous picture of Sea Badger 2 on the Yachts and Yachting website. She looks more like a racing dinghy!

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/?article=152883

Russell
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Hull out like a "5o5"!

Best photograph yet.

David
Tokoloshe111
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Round the island race - The Movie

Postby David Hudson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:03 am

An extract from Scuttlebutt, (with thanks)

Channel 4 To Broadcast Documentary On 'Britain's Favourite Yacht Race'
'Spectacular', 'awe-inspiring' and 'exhilarating' are all words attributed to the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race and if you were one of the 16,000 sailors who took part this year, you will have the chance to re-live your race through a two-part Channel 4 documentary airing this month. A must-watch for all sports and sailing fans, Part 1 will air Saturday 13th November 2010, at 7.30am on Channel 4 and Part 2 goes out on Saturday 20th November 2010, at 7.30am on Channel 4.
The two-part programme, produced by Sunset+Vine|APP in association with Channel 4, tells the story of four very different personalities, each with special reasons to compete in the 2010 race. The first part of the documentary takes the viewer into the day-to-day world of each of the four sailors, as they prepare for the fourth largest participation sporting event in the UK. The second part is filmed during the race itself with onboard cameras showing the highs and the lows as they compete against a fleet of some 1,700 boats.
For a two minute preview log onto:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0R3hmj68Lc
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Return to Racing