Towing with a VW T4 Westfalia Camper

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Towing with a VW T4 Westfalia Camper

Postby Rory McCarthy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm thinking about getting a CC19 to take on hols with me. The curb weight of a T4 is 1800kgs and loaded is about 2100kgs.

Based on my limited understanding of towing weights etc I think its a bit marginal assuming the CC19 really weighs 1850kgs loaded.

I would be interested in people's views of a) how the T4 would perform towing and b) hauling up an "average" slip.

Thanks
Rory
Rory McCarthy
Non Association Member

Re: Towing with a VW T4 Westfalia Camper

Postby Greybeard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Hello, Rory.
You'll be able to get the information from the chassis plate which is normally rivetted in one of the front door frames. I think on the T5 had it was the drivers side. The plate will give you the maximum weights for both axles and also the maximum permitted weight of the van and of the van and trailer. These may be shown as GVW (gross vehicle weight) and GVT (gross train weight). The difference in these two numbers is the maximum permitted weight of the trailer.
Ive also noticed that a 'maximum technically permitted' is creeping onto V5 documents but is unlikely to match that on the plate for some obscure reason. The plate on the vehicle would be the one to go for providing the vehicle is as manufactured and has not been modified.
My T5 was plated to tow 2250kg desite its 1.9 engine. Leisurely but adequate progress when it came to the hills. 1800kg as a towed weight is about right - thats what my CC weighed without its engine. The HM manufacturers figures are rather optimistic and the HM trailer is working at its design limit.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Rory McCarthy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Thanks Steve, thats encouraging.

I am a bit sceptical about the manufacturers numbers so its good to know you managed ok.
Rory McCarthy
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:17 pm

I’ve towed my CC with a T5 (140) and T6 (150). Both have been fine tow vehicles. They are/were both auto, so Power was ok. Your estimate of CC weight seems right to me; slipways have been ok - what engine is in your westy?

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Trailers and Towing