Ropey launch and recovery

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Ropey launch and recovery

Postby erbster » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:57 pm

My CC has an HM trailer. I have launched at 2 slipways (qab, plymouth and northney, Chichester hbr) and both times I have not been in nearly enough water to launch or recover, with my tow vehicle's tyres on the water. I had to use a rope both times. Is this a common experience? Does anyone have any advice to offer please?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:40 pm

I find with our HM trailer and X-Trail at Ferry Nab Windermere that we back in until the exhaust blows bubbles which is then about right for the launch/recover but not a problem if the engine stops.
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 pm

If launching into salt water you will need a rope or a bar (as in two of the photos in my album) on slips of similar gradient to the Rutland ones.
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 pm

Thanks for the photos, Graham; that bar looks useful- where do you get them from?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby GRIMSHAW » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:22 pm

I borrowed the bar from RSC for the occasion. The wheeled bars of various sizes are used by the RSC tractors for launching and recovering their various committee and work boats and I believe were made on site. I have seen a bar less wheels which came as standard with a Catalina trailer; unfortunately that member has moved away.
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Return to Trailers and Towing