Towing and weigh distribution/rudder weight

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Towing and weight distribution/rudder weight

Postby David Peck » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:20 pm

In a recent post under "electricals" David H raises the question of the affect of removing the rudder and placing it in the towing vehicle to achieve better balance (correct nose weight) of the trailer.

The HM rudder weighs 21kg without the tiller! This is pretty heavy and approaching the weight of some outboard engines. As this is the outer most item from the boat/trailer's centre of balance it will have a big effect on the trailer's nose weight and will also help to reduce the overall trailing weight (remember the maximum legal combined boat/trailer weight is only 1800kg).

However, as removing the rudder is time consuming and would take up a lot of space in the towing vehicle, I'm currently looking at constructing a much lighter rudder. Needless to say, I'm a little obsessed by boat weight and keeping it as light as possible. Has anybody ever weighed a South African rudder?

Regards

David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm

I noticed in the gallery that Seasickwhale removes Herr Nielsen's rudder for towing.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Michiel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi,

This afternoon, I have got 'Nemo' all prepared for towing her down to Kielder Water for a rendezvous with Dennis over the weekend.
I have lowered the mast, leaving it hinged in the tabernacle, and resting in a 'brace' with the boom and gaff at the back.
Outboard and rudder are still in place, but so is bowsprit.
Anchor, sails and all other 'loose' items are stached in the bow.
This gives me a nose weight of approx. 15kg.
I am towing with a 4x4, with a towing limit of 2200kg.
I had a trial run round the village and surrounding area, and she sits well.

Leaving early though, tomorrow morning, so will take plenty of time and care.
If not comfortable, it will be easy enough to remove the outboard and but it in the boot.

Will report on this, and the 'sail', my first in 'Nemo', next week.

Looking very much forward to it!
Regards,
Michiel

(CC19 No.63 'NEMO')
Michiel
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Good afternoon from the middle of Ullswater.

I see from your post "Towing and weight distribution/rudder weight",
you are a Goons fan. Hence your use of "consumining". And now we're all walking backwards to Christmas!

Wesh wishes
David H udson
Tokoloshe111
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

A Tow in the Water

Postby David Hudson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Being a Virgo of Scots descent, it took me a while to come up with my ideal towing combination.

A "friend" in the trade had a BMW X3 2 litre Diesel in stock which was just right for towing.
Not being prepared to pay the extra £££££'s for 4X4, I bought an electric winch for about £300
and which attaches to the tow baw and will tow Tokoloshe up any incline I have seen to date.

When are we going to Rutland?
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:40 pm

It's me again.

The Electric Winch Shop didn't have the capacity Superwinch
I wanted. They have "given" me a 4,500 kg capacity
Superwinch for £318, the same price as their 3,800 kg
capacity winch. This means I can lift Tokoloshe vertically
up a quayside!

And a Happy Christmas to all Cape Cutter owners!!

David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:52 pm

I have just spent 3 hours lying on my back with spanners to hand.
As a result I have successfully moved the axle of my HM trailer 85mm towards the back.

This should make it easier to get a decent noseweight (for stability when towing) without having to cram everything into the bows of the boat.

When I recover the boat (in a couple of weeks) I will get the bathroom scales out and measure the noseweight. I will then report the findings here.

In the mean time I will try to get a couple of days sailing, which is what it is all about.:D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:54 pm

Dennis wrote:
When I recover the boat (in a couple of weeks) I will get the bathroom scales out and measure the noseweight. I will then report the findings here.

Boat was duly hauled out on 30th Oct, single handed, without any problems.
I left everything in the boat in its usual position and made no attempt to redistribute the weight. Outboard motor was in place and the cockpit lockers were stuffed full of all the usual stuff, fuel tank, six fenders, warps and a spare anchor.

Noseweight measured 77 Kg which is ideal, a big improvement on the 20kg which it was before I moved the axle.

I then stripped the boat ready for it's winter storage. Everything was removed, all spars, motor, rudder, upholstery, sprayhood, pots and pans etc, the only thing left inside was the HM centreboard case mounted table.

Noseweight measured 95 Kg.

I am very happy with the results, The max. allowed noseweight (dictated by the trailer coupling) is 100 kg, so I am comfortably within that.

Another bonus is that I can now walk around in the cockpit with the boat on the trailer without the nosewheel lifting off the ground. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Great result Dennis,
Was the mod. as straight forward as it looks , ie. slacken the U bolts and inch the axle back?
Are the weights with the rudder in position ?
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:21 pm

ianrmaciver wrote: Was the mod. as straight forward as it looks , ie. slacken the U bolts and inch the axle back?
Are the weights with the rudder in position ?
Ian

Yes quite straight forward. Two U bolts have to be totally removed to be replaced aft of welded struts on the trailer beams.

You also have to adjust the brake pull rod by exactly the same amount that you move the axle.

The first weight (77 Kg) is with everything in normal position but the mast stowed for towing and the boom, gaff and bowsprit inside the cabin.

The second weight (95 Kg) everything has been removed from the boat (except for the table, which is insignificant) including the rudder.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Trailers and Towing