Towing vehicles

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Postby David Peck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Hello Frank,

Belated thanks for your comments on the VW Tiguan with the DSG gearbox. I believe the DSG Transmission is different in principle to the ZF box that Dennis was referring to. With the double clutch arrangement have you managed any really steep hill starts, while towing, without the clutches slipping?

I went into our local VW Dealer yesterday and picked up a brochure to study. I notice there is also do a 177Hp version! Unfortunately they did not have a Tiguan to test drive!

More pondering!!!:confused:

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 pm

I got rid of my Freelander and use a VW Touran now. It tows it better on the motorway, and is OK for launching. I bung some 4x4 driver £5 to pull it out for me. :D
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Towing Vehicle

Postby popeye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:31 am

Hi David,

the 177Hp engine is the same than the 140Hp. The increase is based on chip tuning only. For towing my "Katrina" (incl. trailer and all equipment 1.8 tons) 140Hp is enough.

Another plus is the fuel consumption. I`ve driven 40 tkm last year with an average consumption of 7.1 litre. This includes 3 tkm with "Katrina" (average cons 8.5 litre).
Not so bad for a 4-Motion car with automatic gearbox and round about 1.8 tons weight I think.

Regards,

Frank
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 am

Hello all

David, check the kerb weight of the Tiguan. I believe is is "only" 1665 Kg and that includes the weight of the driver and 90% full fuel tank.

I seem to remember Frank (popeye) telling me that he uses a super light trailer and not the heavyweight HM offering. I suspect that Katrina on her trailer is going to be somewhat lighter than Whistling Rufus.

The received wisdom is that it is not advisable to tow anything heavier than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Ru88ell wrote:I got rid of my Freelander and use a VW Touran now. It tows it better on the motorway, and is OK for launching. I bung some 4x4 driver £5 to pull it out for me. :D

Hello Russell

According to the current Touran brochure, the towing limit is 1500 kg for all models except the 170 HP version which is 1600 Kg.

Have you had Zephyr on a weighbridge? ;)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby popeye » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Dennis wrote:According to the current Touran brochure, the towing limit is 1500 kg for all models except the 170 HP version which is 1600 Kg.

In Germany the Tiguan is permitted to tow 2200 Kg. But I assume the legal requirments in UK will be different.

Regards,

Frank
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm

popeye wrote:In Germany the Tiguan is permitted to tow 2200 Kg. But I assume the legal requirments in UK will be different.

Regards,

Frank

Hello Frank

I was referring to Russell's Touran.;)

I think the legal towing limits will be the same throughout the EU.

Here in the UK though we do have some peculiar restrictions depending on your driving licence.
I believe anyone who has taken a recent driving test (post 1997?) cannot drive any combination of vehicle and trailer where the combined maximum allowable gross vehicle weight totals 3500Kg or more, or when the MAGVW of the trailer (1800Kg for a HM trailer) exceeds the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.
An additional driving test is required to allow these legal limits to be exceeded.

However, I passed my driving test in 1965, so I think I am OK.:rolleyes:
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Ru88ell wrote:I got rid of my Freelander and use a VW Touran now. :D

Russell,

What were the reasons for "getting rid" of your Freelander in favour of the Touran? Was it anything to do with the towing ability or the automatic transmission (I believe your FL2 was an automatic)?

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Ruf
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Spare Wheels for towing vehicles

Hello Dennis and all,

Still pondering!

Has anyone had experience with using those repair kits that are supplied these days instead of spare wheels? Do they inject some sort of foam into the complete wheel through the valve or are they the type where you have to first find the puncture (i.e. a nail) remove it, then inject a rubber solution into the hole forming a plug? Having to find the puncture on a dark wet night in the middle of nowhere doesn’t seem very practical!

Would anyone tow with just one of these backups?

Dennis, do you know the legal position with regard to towing with a repaired wheel or "run flat" tyres?

The reason I ask, is that one of cars still on my list (just) is the BMW X3 which has neither a spare wheel nor the space to contain even a "space saver"! They just supply a repair kit or the option of "run flat tyres"!

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:56 pm

David Peck wrote:Spare Wheels for towing vehicles

Dennis, do you know the legal position with regard to towing with a repaired wheel or "run flat" tyres?

Hello David

The short answer to your question is no!

I suspect it will depend upon what the car manufacturer states in the handbook for that particular vehicle. I think that when they apply for "Type Approval" they will have to specify the limitations of use.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailers and Towing