Trailer Brakes

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Part numbers for HM trailer brake shoes...??

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm

At the end of last season I did strip the brakes down to give them a good cleaning. No doubt as a result of applications of WD40 etc in the past I found the brake friction material had come away from the shoes.

However Kaliope was recovered successfully and is now covered for the winter and well chocked and the brakes off...

Can anyone give me part numbers for the HM brakes on the ALKO axle... I will try and get them when next back in the UK and sort them out once and for all before launching in April..

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Dennis » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm

Hello Chris

I assume your trailer is fitted with the "AL-KO Braked Euro - Compact Axle With waterproof bearing". When I bought Mary Ann, Bob gave me the sales literature from AL-KO giving the details for this equipment which is certainly fitted to my trailer.

Service kits are easily available from a number of suppliers, I did a Google search and came up with the following info.

[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]Alko Brake Kit for one AXLE (two sets of brake shoes) For euro Axles post 1994. Single axles <1800kg, Tandem axles <3500kg. 230mm Diameter Drum, 61mm Brake Shoe Width.

Further Details

■x 4 : 384.509 Brakes Shoe (single)
■x 4 : Cover plate
■x 4 : Shoe retaining spring
■x 2 : Dust Cap 2361
■x 2 : Flanged Nut 2361[/color][/font]

Here are some (on-line) suppliers:

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/AL_KO_BrakesBC.html

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/chassis/product_27294/alko_brake_shoe_kit_2361_euro.aspx

http://www.tridenttowing.co.uk/trailer-parts-spares-c3/brake-spares-c36/brake-shoes-c77/al-ko-al-ko-2361-brake-shoe-axle-set-fits-post-1994-p9688

Individual parts are available from here:

http://www.albatowing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=products_all&disp_order=6&page=17

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks, that's great
:)
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

SA Brakes

Postby Danny Donnelly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi
I have just refurbished a SA trailer, new hitch,winch, extra rollers etc, I was going to fit a new axel but the existing SA axel is so good I dicided to keep it, no problem getting bearings from part numbers on the forum, the only parts I need now are the brake pads for the disc brakes, does anyone know where I can sorce them or is there other brake pads might suit? hoping to have my new CC19 in May or June so plenty of time to sort out the brakes, all the best for now.

Regards

Danny Donnelly
Danny Donnelly
CC19 Association Member

SA Trailer brakes

Postby Nick Martin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:11 pm

Hi there .. I had a SA trailer until recently .. I thought it was wonderful and loved the brakes .. contary to other people's experiences I didn't seem to have any troubles adjusting and maintaining them .. the fact that everything was visible and easily washed off after being in the sea was great .. they seemed very effective when I needed them .. the damper did fail (I suspect due to prolonged and repeated dunking in the sea) .. that was tricky to sort (as I couldn't get the right part) .. the bearings gave no trouble at all - but I was obscessive about looking after them
.. there was some minor flexing where the straight side members turned in to make the 'A' section at the front end .. that was easily rectified by welding some webs at the join on each side to give lateral support to the longitudinal 'stiffening' bars above - stopping them moving in and out where they too changed direction
All in all a great piece of kit until...
Last year on the motorway one of the disks shattered .. the remains caught the callper and sheared off it's mounting bolts .. yuck! .. I was doing about 50 mph up hill at the time .. and clearly not braking .. there was rust on most of the broken surface .. so there had been a crack for a while - which I hadn't spotted at my routine service just a few weeks before .. probably just bad luck / a poor casting .. so check your disks more carefully than I did!!
I looked at a new axle etc but the all the ones I investigated stuck out further that the existing mudguards .. I thought about all the fiddling about, hew hitch, wheels and tyres etc..... and finally relented and traded in the remains of my SA trailer for a new one ..
Regarding finding pads, I think there was a post on the old Yahoo site .. someone may know .. I never got to the point where I needed to replace the pads .. but when I enquired at a local parts place I was led to understand it would be possible to get them relined
Nick Martin
Non Association Member

Axle Replacement

Postby seasickwhale » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:00 am

Hi all,

should anyone want to replace the axle on an SA-trailer, here is some info regarding my new axle.

I bought a KNOTT axle - see
http://www.knott-trailer-shop.com/product_info.php/cPath/35_6/products_id/13/category/braked_axles/product/rubber_spring_axle_vgb18_mv.htm/zoom_picture/yes

made to special measurements,with
Auflagemaß "b" = 1650 mm

Flanschmaß "c" = 2120 mm

For a general drawing and the original quote - see attachments.

This cost me around 550 Euros in 2007 and allowed me to use the existing rims, fitted with new tyres ([font=Arial][font=Arial]195R14C 8PR Index 106 / 104N TK=900 kg) for the higher real wheel loads.[/font][/font]

[font=Arial][font=Arial]As weighing had shown, both boat and trailer were considerably weightier than shown on the website in the early days (these figures have now been amended). This meant that the orignal SA-setup was not up to the job according to the numbers, but of course worked fine anyway. My SA-axle had to be replaced to meet German laws.[/font][/font]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Axle replacement

Postby Nick Martin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 am

Worth noting that I've seen at least two different SA wheels being used with different numbers of bolts/pcd .. check carefully if replacing an axle unit .. I couldn't find a standard unit compatable with the number of bolts/pcd of my wheels (boat no.30) .. so one way or another if replacing the axle there would have been additional costs for me at least with a rather more custom set up or new wheels.
I looked at the Knott units but was advised that the Alko units (more expensive) were superior, especially if regularly dunked in the sea .. who really knows though? ..
What I have learnt, from my near disaster in my previous post, is that if you're going to tow 1800kg at 50+ mph on just 2 wheels >> it's as well to make sure that you've done all YOU can to be safe .. AND better still, that someone else has done all THEY can (with more experience) .. and that the 'finished' trailer inspected and certified fit for purpose.
Finally, I have to say that discarding a 10 year old (SA)trailer in favour of a new one felt absolutely fantastic as I drove it home from HM .. I felt epic! - and I HATE letting anybody do something that I could 'so easily' do myself and I SERIOUSLY HATE spending money with a passion!!
Nick
Nick Martin
Non Association Member

Honnor Marine trailers may have different axles.....

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue May 13, 2014 11:47 am

[quote="Dennis"]Hello Chris

I assume your trailer is fitted with the "AL-KO Braked Euro - Compact Axle With waterproof bearing". When I bought Mary Ann, Bob gave me the sales literature from AL-KO giving the details for this equipment which is certainly fitted to my trailer.

Service kits are easily available from a number of suppliers, I did a Google search and came up with the following info.

[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]Alko Brake Kit for one AXLE (two sets of brake shoes) For euro Axles post 1994. Single axles <1800kg, Tandem axles <3500kg. 230mm Diameter Drum, 61mm Brake Shoe Width.

Further Details

■x 4 : 384.509 Brakes Shoe (single)
■x 4 : Cover plate
■x 4 : Shoe retaining spring
■x 2 : Dust Cap 2361
■x 2 : Flanged Nut 2361[/color][/font]

Here are some (on-line) suppliers:

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/AL_KO_BrakesBC.html

Hi everyone,

Dennis is a fantastic source of information and he was spot on with his advice about brake shoe spares for the Honnor Marine trailer.. What neither of us realised is that not all trailers by Honnor Marine are the same.

Today I discovered that my Honnor Marine trailer (2006) for boat number 67 has a different Al-Ko axle to that fitted on Dennis trailer...

On the top edge on the brake backing plate viewed from inboard (almost impossible if the boat is on the trailer) are a series of stamped in numbers.. Mine include the four number code 2051 ..... Dennis's will have the four number code 2361... This relates to the brake shoes replacement kits you will need.

My axle is rated to 1500kg and the brake drum is 200mm internal diameter and the shoes 50mm wide...

Dennis' axle is rated 1800kg and the drum diameter is 230mm and shoe width 60mm...

So when I come to sell you can haggle about whether my trailer is any good, but I'm not selling because we love Kaliope... Even though we live on a mountain and have virtually no brakes (seemingly) we get on fine.. We don't trail sail Kaliope and only move the boat twice a year, so all the safety issues of proper towing at speed etc doesn't apply.

But now you know where to look for the part number for the brakes fitted to your HM trailer..

Cheers

Chris (no brakes ) Wicks
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue May 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Hello Chris

You are correct, Bob has uprated the trailers he supplies from 1600 Kg axle to 1800 Kg axle. I do not know when this was done, but if you check the HM plate on the trailer if it gives maximum load of anything less than 1800 Kg you will probably have the lower rated axle. :o

One of the Kielder Capecutter fleet (Frank Stewart, Bernicea) has just had Bob replace his 1600Kg axle with a 1800Kg version, but he does trailer sail.

I hope you get it sorted.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

It's no problem at all. Western Towing will refund and I can order the correct parts. The lower rated trailers are 1500kg so early HM trailers be aware.. Cheers
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailers and Towing