Carrying spars on trailer rather than in boat?

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Carrying spars on trailer rather than in boat?

Postby Paul Flint » Mon May 29, 2023 8:06 pm

As a newcomer to CC19s and owner of 'Chunky Monkey' (an interesting name if you need to transmit a distress message!) I am about to trail and launch my boat for the first time. As far as I can tell, when towing the CC19 most(?) people appear to carry the spars in the cabin and get the extra length needed in there by opening the watertight hatch in the forward bulkhead. Has anyone tried carrying the spars successfully on the Honnor Marine trailer beneath the boat, particularly for short trips? This would appear to me to make storage and access easy, but may well have the downside of spray and dirt being kicked up on to the spars in wet weather. I have, however, seen some other types of trailer-sailers with this configuration. Suggestions welcome. Many thanks.
Paul Flint
CC19 Association Member

Re: Carrying spars on trailer rather than in boat?

Postby Dennis » Wed May 31, 2023 11:20 am

Hello Paul

You can carry the spars in the boat without having to open the access hatch on the forepeak bulkhead, simply feed them through the deck escape hatch down into the cabin and along one of the quarter berths. This is what I do if I am trailing the boat unrigged.

If I am trailing the boat with the intention of preparing to sail in the shortest possible time at my destination I keep the mainsail laced to the gaff and fixed to the boom and with the halyards and mainsheet still attached. The whole assembly is covered with the boom cover. As my gooseneck is attached to a (raised) mastband I cannot keep the boom attached to the mast so I disconnect the gooseneck and reattach to the original fitting on the tabernacle. I therefore trail the boat with the mast lowered, detached from the tabernacle and moved forward, the boom/gaff/mainsail assembly stay in situ attached to the fitting on the tabernacle.

I cannot see the point of carrying the spars beneath the boat, if you are intending to sail you are going to have to move them onto the boat anyway at your destination.

Just my way of doing it.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Flint » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:58 pm

Many thanks Dennis, that very helpful and very logical.
I'm launching for the first time on Coniston Water tomorrow for a trial sail and so will adopt your 'ready to sail' approach to tow there.
I suspect towing with the outboard ready in place in the well is not recommended due to the weight and stress on the boat?
Thanks again. All the best, Paul.
Paul Flint
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:06 pm

Hi Paul

I always tow with the outboard in situ on the boat.

No problems in 15 years of ownership. Fingers crossed!
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:21 pm

Hi Paul,

yes on the outboard, also you have to be careful that there is enough noseweight on the trailer for towing if it is in place. We leave the boat pretty much fully rigged, with the boom/gaff/mast resting on DIY crutches at the rear, but with the outboard removed.

Hope you had a good sail today, we're in West Cumbria so I hope you had the same nice day as here, albeit with perhaps a little short on breeze.

Cheers,

Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Return to Trailers and Towing