Honnor Marine axle replacement

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

Honnor Marine axle replacement

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu May 11, 2023 7:52 am

Towing Kaliope 12km to the launch site revealed a trailer problem. One tyre started to rub on the inner edge of the mudguard and the wheel was visibly leaning inwards at the top. My 2006 HM trailer looks in good condition is stored under cover and always flushed with fresh water after use. It had new brakes and bearings a couple of years ago. However it only makes two trips a year, launch and recovery not more than 50km in total. I am fairly sure the suspension arm is corroded and collapsing. With the boat now afloat it looks ok and I can feel no bearing wobble. I want to take it for assessment but rural Greece makes this a challenge.
Option 1 is a replacement AL KO 1800 kg axle. In 2006 HM fitted a 1600 rated axle. But no AL-KO dealers in Greece.

Local trailer manufacturers tend to use WAP axles, also a German brand

They would prefer to sell a new trailer than upgrade the old one. Apart from the old axle my HM trailer is perfect and far superior to what is produced locally.

I am trying to work out how to proceed. I have until the winter to sort it out, but am interested to hear opinions.

Best wishes

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: Honnor Marine axle replacement

Postby Nick Scroggs » Sun May 21, 2023 6:54 pm

Hi Chris
I would buy a new axle - 1800kg - as 1600kg is too light, and fit it to your trailer. The HM trailers were pretty solid so it should not be necessary to change the whole trailer. If you buy a non Alko axle just make sure the axle PCD matches your wheel PCD. There are lots of trailer parts suppliers on the www / ebay with braked single axle 1800kg axles - the challenge might be finding one who will ship to your address !. Hope this helps. Best regards. Nick
Nick Scroggs
CC19 Association Member

Re: Honnor Marine axle replacement

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu May 25, 2023 6:35 am

Thanks for your comments Nick. Al-Ko raised many problems with my idea to upgrade to an 1800kg axle even if I could source one. Requiring the original manufacturer to certify the modification. Obviously not possible. So I have gone for a Greek solution. A friend in Volos who is a reputable car service agent also owns a heavy boat / trailer. He now has my trailer at his workshop to find the best solution. So an all new axle is likely. He will refer to local marine trailer manufacturers. A further complication is all trailers must now be registered by the vehicle licencing department. So he is trying to sort that out too. But it needs a 17 digit chassis number. Mine is CC1065 or similar.... Ok we'll just add 11 zeros... In September I'll chase it up. Perhaps by November I'll have a solution. As they say in Greece Σιγά σιγά.... Gently gently - Slowly slowly

Cheers

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Trailers and Towing