AL-KO Axle brakes

About the important piece of kit under your Cape Cutter 19 when on the road.....

AL-KO Axle brakes

Postby NickC » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:46 am

Hi all
Just a word of warning.
Four years ago I had to replace the AL-KO 1500kg axle on my Honnor marine (Rochdale) trailer due to a rusted out suspension drop arm. (The black and rusty bit that's not galvanised)
Last weekend I went to move the trailer and thought that the brakes were binding slightly going forward but not in reverse.
Despite the rain I bit the bullet and decided to investigate. Just as well, because when I drew the O/S hub off both brake linings fell out! Upon checking the other side, one lining fell out and the last one came away from its shoe the moment I touched it!
The axle as I say is only four years old, has done approx 200 miles and has had eight dips in the sea. I am fastidious about flushing brakes after a dip and additionaly purchased a flushing kit when i bought the axle. Despite these precautions, rust had grown on the shoes under the linings and had popped them off as they are only glued on these days and not rivited. I would add that the trailer is stored outside and not under cover which probably doesn't help.
In conclusion, it could have been a costly roadside recovery if I hadn't checked! There is however a downside to "just checking" as on these axles the hub nuts are a one time only use and therfore you need to purchase new hub nuts before you start!
Happy motoring!
N
NickC
CC19 Association Member

Re: AL-KO Axle brakes

Postby chrisr » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:12 pm

In worst case, in my experience, liners come off brake shoes and jam the wheels, via the brake drums, locking them solid! Trailer immobilised. Very dangerous, potentially catastrophic if moving quickly.

If you are doing VERY FEW ROAD MILES, perhaps on slpw/quiet country lanes, and have a reasonably substantial tow vehicle, it might be worth "forgetting" these damn3d brakes and using it as unbraked trailer? This worked well for "an acquaintance " of mine...he towed with either a proper land-rover or a small tractor.

He then did the appropriate checks, with the correct new parts fitted only when longer/Road journeys were planned.

Others have attempted to solve this problem by getting the liners riveted to the shoes.

All above at your own risk, etc etc etc...

With the cost of parts these days even a DIY fix with standard parts will be <£100.

And don't start me on "one-time" nuts/bolts...
chrisr
Non Association Member

Return to Trailers and Towing