Suggestions for a 4/5 day cruise please!

Recommended places to take your Cape Cutter 19 with details of anchorages, marinas etc

Suggestions for a 4/5 day cruise please!

Postby David Hill » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:28 am

Hi,

Moonstruck, Capecutter19 no.34, is now at her new home at Shotley Marina (East Coast), and we're looking forward to exploring the rivers Orwell and Stour, and areas beyond.

However, we're planning on a 4 or 5 day cruise during the late May bank holiday week, and I'm looking for suggestions as to where to go. I'm happy to trail up to around 6 hours away, and the other stipulation is I need fairly sheltered waters. My wife is a fairly nervous sailor, probably due to the presence of our 5 year old daughter on board!

Anyway, are there any good suggestions out there?!

Thanks,

David
David Hill
Non Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 pm

May be a bit far- but I can recommend the Clyde, launching from Largs.:)

We are going up for a week starting at the Whit Bank Holiday- over to Arran (Lochranza) and then up through the Crinan Canal (stop before at Tarbert) to Croabh Haven and possibly Oban.

Its a great area especially at this time of year.

We are going as a family (my wife, 12 year old daughter and 14 year old son)- I was going to suggest it as our first "event!"

My wife does not liked the boat to be pressed- we have been up there several times- she suggested the cruise!

It is a great area, lots of wildlife, and sheltered.

Simon
CC40 Halcyon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby Julian » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:39 pm

I would suggest you follow AC Stock's example, and potter around the sheltered creeks and estuaries around your base. I look forward to seeing your boat on the water. I've long been an admirer of Cape Cutters. My Drascombe Coaster is moored up at Pin Mill.
Julian

Postby Moneypenny » Fri May 08, 2009 8:46 am

Another one for the locker: Launch at Itchenor (Chichester Harbour); Bembridge; Newtown River (both Isle of Wight) ; Beaulieu; Chichester. Need to work the tides. Alternatively you could work the Solent the other way: Lymington; Keyhaven; Newtown; Beaulieu. Generally, look for places that exclude anything drawing more than 1.5 metres draft as that is where the "average white yot" and the Sunseekers head for.
Moneypenny

Return to Cruising Areas