Cruising Aegean Sea - North Sporades

Recommended places to take your Cape Cutter 19 with details of anchorages, marinas etc

Cruising Aegean Sea - North Sporades

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:02 am

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.418157691568497.113320.169017669815835&type=1

Kaliope is mostly used as a day sailer with many good intentions to go away for a few nights from our summer harbour of Platanias on the Pelion peninsular of mainland Greece.

Last week our chance came and we set off with a couple of friends for a round trip of about 90nm to Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonnisos. It was a perfect trip with the summer northeasterlies (Meltemi) varing between f 2 to 4 on days 1 and 2 and F 4 to 5 for our return legs. In total we used 4 litres of petrol which equated to about 4 hours of motor sailing over 4 days. I estimate we did about 100 nm all in all. No harbour dues, no hassle just a lot of fun.

Our friends took rooms ashore each night, with sea views and good facilities and paid a total of €80 for 3 one night stop overs. Kathryn and I appreciated the use of their showers and toilet facilities ashore. Kaliope has no electrics or nav lights. (or toilet).. Just a pure and simple Cape Cutter. Our emergency 'all round white' battery operated lantern complies with Col Regs and provides cabin lighting at night.

The above link is to a photo album of the trip which I hope works. If not take a look at http://www.facebook.com/theolivestorecottage and you will find it there. You do not need to be a FB subscriber to view the album...

Best wishes to you all and καλό καλοκέρι....

Chris

Kaliope of Pelion
CC67
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Sporadic Sailing

Postby GRIMSHAW » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 am

It's raining here!
GRIMSHAW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm sorry about the bad weather in England. We tend to be there outside the 'fairweather' sailing season. Still there are some disadvantages of living in Greece as I'm sure you've heard on the news incessantly for far too long. Still a visit to Greece is not so difficult to arrange for the intrepid Cape Cutterers. Surely before too long some one will make a Rhine - Danube journey to the black sea. Turn right and you're into the Aegean and away!!:cool:
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Cruising Areas