Trailer sailing to Greece

Recommended places to take your Cape Cutter 19 with details of anchorages, marinas etc

Trailer sailing to Greece

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 pm

Each summer we I see many visiting boats to our area of Greece. Many are trailed from Germany, Austria and Italy. The most popular route for trailing to Greece is taking the ferry from Venice or Ancona. Sadly I have yet to see another cape cutter around here although there is a Cornish Shrimper on Skiathos.

In the photograph section you can see various pictures of my cruising area, the Pagasitic Gulf and Aegean sea in the lee of the Sporades Islands, Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonnysos.

If at some time there was an interest in a Cape Cutter rally here I would be happy to make some arrangements.

This is a fabulous area to sail and I am very happy to assist anyone with suggestions for campsites or other shore based accomodation and facilities for boating. I have 2 laid moorings, one in Platania and one at Milina. 23 Nm apart by sea but only 20 minutes away by car. I have never paid any fees for moorings, launching etc.. (none are required).

Next may (2010) I see the Historical Seas, Tall Ships Regatta sets off from Volos between 9th and 12th May (see http://www.tallshipsraces.com) within this cruising area. The race starts to the south of skiathos on it's first leg to Turkey. I'll be there to see them off.

Finally if anyone wants to visit this area without bringing their boat here do get in touch as I am happy to take other owners (or potential owners) out for a sail.

Chris Wicks
Kaliope CC67
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Cruising Areas