Traditional Sailing Festival - Holyhead 29-31st Aug 2015

Queries, notice of, questions or write ups regarding Non-Association events

Traditional Sailing Festival - Holyhead 29-31st Aug 2015

Postby erbster » Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am

I have been to this annual festival twice before and it is well worth a visit. It's sponsored by the marina, so in the past you got free launch and free mRina berth. It's really enjoyable and very child friendly. We are certainly going this year, and I'm thinking of launching at Pwllheli and sailing over there if anyone is interested in joining me.

Website for the event : http://holyhead.northwalesoga.org/intro ... m?mmskip=1
(advert-laden, I'm afraid)

Here's a video I made after attending the event in 2012: http://youtu.be/lqr6a3_9XmU
Last edited by erbster on Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: Tradition Sailing Festival - Holyhead 29-31st Aug 2015

Postby Runrig » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Not a definite yet but certainly interested especially in the prospect of a cruise in company from Pwhelli to Holyhead (and back?).
Any thoughts on what day to sail from Phwelli?
Runrig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Yes I'd be keen and am fairly sure I can make it. There's not much information on the website at the moment so I'm not sure whether you're supposed to register or apply for a mooring etc.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby erbster » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:04 pm

I'm thinking of setting off from Pwlheli on wed or thu (but we're only back from holiday in Spain on Tue).
I wouldn't worry about booking far in advance; il email the organisers closer to the time.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: Traditional Sailing Festival - Holyhead 29-31st Aug 2015

Postby Runrig » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:01 pm

On the North Wales OGA website under 'programme' tab there is a form for this years event.
I did not sign up for the Friday night civic reception as not sure when we would arrive.
Would we plan to do it in one leg or break the journey, possibly at Morfa Nefyn. At a quick glance it looks like leaving Pwhelli on the high water would give you the ebb past Hells Mouth and the flood up the coast toward Holyhead.
Sailing Thursday or Friday would suit me best. I may be on holiday in that area with the family that week and wouldn't want to leave too early!
Cheers
Paul (Roper)
Runrig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Runrig » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Some further info:
Pwhelli Marina are quoting £150 for a ten night stay but will adjust for the time we are not there. I asked for 10 nights because this is my possible plan. Robert Jones is the berthing master 01758 701219
At the Marina, West Coast Marine, will provide a tractor and support for launching and recovery for £30 for both launch and recovery (£15 each way). I will use this service as it is cheaper than a new clutch for the Audi and good to have a local pair of hands. Derek was the man I spoke to. 01758 701254
Launching needs to be away from low tides as the slip dries at Spring lows.
I am wondering if we can get of the North west boats interested? Simon on Halcyon?
Runrig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Julian Fisher » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm hoping to attend if it's not too windy for the previous few days (and, hopefully, there's no North in the wind). I'll be sailing round from Port Dinorwic, either clockwise or anti clockwise depending on wind direction. It'll be great to meet up with other CC's.
Julian Fisher
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi Paul, thanks for that info. It's a good slip there.
I was hoping to launch at puffwelly but recover a holyhead. However, it turns out that time is tight as we return from a family holiday on Tuesday. Not sure how it will pan out for us exactly
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi

Hi Everyone

I am planning to attend this but will be combining it with a circumnavigation of Anglesey with my son for the August BH

Agenda TBA but Julians plan is probably the best

Anyone who wants to join me is welcome.

Probably stay one night in Trearddur Bay (weather permitting) but stopping for Lunch at Pilots Cove also a probability

PM me if you are interested.

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Well, it turns out that the earliest I can launch is Wednesday. On reflection, I think a plan to (at least partially) circumnavigate Anglesey is better because it's less distance and more sheltered.

Julian, have you launched at Port Dinorwic before? do you have any inside information?

I thought a sensible plan for me is to travel, rig and launch on Weds (possibly on my own), then travel to Holyhead on Thu/fri, prob anchoring overnight thu. My intention is to get my lovely wife to collect vehicle and trailer from launch point on Friday and bring it to Holyhead.

How does this sit with other people's plans? Sailing in company is very pleasant, especially if single handed.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Non Association Events