2012 Platanias raid - rally

Queries, notice of, questions or write ups regarding Non-Association events

2012 Platanias raid - rally

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:39 am

Kaliope was not able to compete in the Milina Regatta this year as the date was bought forward by one week at the last minute catching me on the hop with other plans and no time to make the 25nm passage to the Pagastitic Gulf. Not to worry we have had the best season ever in Platanias with more and more adventurous day sailing between the south Pelion peninsular and the islands of Evia and Skiathos. There are a few interesting small sailing boats around here of around 6 and 7 meters. In the last month a beautiful new build caique with lateen sail has been launched here. I have met the owner of a locally built Romilly, there is another in build (all wooden) and someone else with a Golant Gaffer. So I am now thinking of the possibility of a small boat rally here next summer, May or June perhaps. It would be pretty informal but there are some fabulous day sailing possibilities in the area described plus the Pagastiic gulf. So is any Cape Cutter interested in venturing down here? A long haul of course but with plenty of possibility to camp, cheap accommodation and easy mooring it is worth posing the question now. Do let me know

Chris
CC67 Kaliope
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby David Hudson » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:14 pm

So how old are you now Chris?

Hoppy bunday

Regards
David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:15 am

I keep thinking about it Chris - but it is a bloody long way, and travel would use at least 4 days holiday. How much would it cost to have our boats shipped over?
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi David, I'm 55!!

Hi Russell, It is a long way here from the Uk towing a CC. The driving route I normally use once across the channel is to head to Venice (via Germany / Austria) then ferry to Greece and another longish drive to Pelion. Kaliope was shipped from HM new by container but I can't imagine this would be practical or cost effective. In 2006 it was about £1500 but only one way of course.
Trailing to Greece could make sense for someone with plenty of time who was going to trail and sail along the way. Imagine the lakes of Bavaria, then Lake Garda before taking the ferry to Greece...

And to either of you don't forget if you are passing this way without your own boats then you are welcome to join us for a sail.

Cheers
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Non Association Events