Cardigan Bay - Easter and Royal Wedding Cruise

Queries, notice of, questions or write ups regarding Non-Association events

Cardigan Bay - Easter and Royal Wedding Cruise

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Folks

I've booked off the three days between Easter and Will's wedding giving me an 11 day sailing period. We're going to Porthmadog and have rented a cottage for the family. I've spoken to the Harbour Master and launching is £5 and mooring £7/night. There may even be space on the yacht club pontoon - I'm awaiting news.

There are plenty of places within easy sailing distance: Abersoch, Puffwelli, Criccieth, Mochra (Shell Island), Barmouth, Averdovey.

http://goo.gl/maps/ygwS

Let me know if you fancy coming along for any of the period. It would be nice to sail in the company of other CC19's.

Russell
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Porthmadog

Postby Simon Head » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi Russell

I stayed there a couple of years ago- a must is the Welsh Highland Railway which uses Manchester made (ex South Africa) Beyer Garratt N16s- the most powerful narrow gauge steam locomotives in Europe!

The only thing to remember about Porthmadog is the bar- which only provides access to the harbour at certain times of the tide. We were there for Neaps.

When we stayed it was a case of either mooching around for a couple of hours or being out all day from one state of tide to another.

Needless to say we only went out a couple of times as the crew were not happy to spend all day on the boat (especially as we were camping near the beach!)

Just something to be aware of- its OK if you are on your own!

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Here's another dodgy piece of water in New York!

Hell gateImageis on the East River leading in from Long Island Sound. It is spanned by the Triborough and Hellgate Bridges ( No it's not the Tyne Bridge). It is most named for its contrary and fast moving tides...

"The confluence of Long Island Sound/The East River & The Harlem River at Randalls Island has long been a incredibly turbulent waterway when the tides are running. While easy to navigate at slack tides, even for people in Kayaks, currents up to 5-10 knots are not unusual when the tide floods back in from New York Harbor & The Atlantic or when the tide flows out from The Long Island Sound. Each year there are still numerous accidents and small wrecks in this dangerous stretch of water".

And as you sail into Long Island Sound, there is a rock with a post which submerges at high tide. The revolutionaries used to tie folk to it when they didn't get the answer the wanted.

In true Blue Peter fashion this is one I sailed earlier; in years gone by.

Has anyone else diced with Poseidon and survived? Chris have you braved Scylla and Charybdis yet?

Yeah yeah, it's the silly season!

Good sailing
David

PS Further up the river is Rykers Island which holds the local prison. I asked why there were no fences around the prison to stop people escaping. Answer; there's so much pollution in the river no one bothers!
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:49 pm

David- sounds like the swellies at the wrong state of tide, or the Gulf of Corryvreckan at the top of Jura.......

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:09 pm

I think I'll go to the wedding. I am a member of the Church
after all.
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue May 03, 2011 8:05 pm

As per the OP, I took my Cape Cutter to Porthmadog from Good Friday until the Royal Wedding Friday. The weather was superb, and the scenery to beat any anywhere. We sailed to Pwllheli, Shell Island and Criccieth.

I'll do a proper video when I have time, but here is a sample of the sailing there...

http://youtu.be/Rz0AL2OELa8
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sun May 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Proper video now done:- http://youtu.be/DGZ9juTpRJc
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Sun May 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Excellent report Russell. Both you and Dennis are up there with
Mel Brooks.

Good luck to you et al in The Round the Island. I hope
you are able to do some cinema for us without impairing your
race position,

Regards
David
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun May 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Nice one Russell.

I feel like I was there with you, cracking weather, great scenery.

Excellent, lets have more of the same please.

Dennis
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Non Association Events