CC19 Rally 2018

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Re: CC19 Rally 2018

Postby Tony Treen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:39 pm

Can you put me down as a possible. I am doing a lot of work outside the UK at the moment, but do not have an advance schedule of visits, they are on a 'when and as needed' basis.

This will would be my first proper cruise, so will also be looking for some help and advice from you more experienced people. Which brings to mind the question of tenders, as noted in Malcom's post of today. I keep Wadudu on a swinging mooring on the Exe River, and my inflatable tender plus engine is too big to easily carry on the boat. What do people use when cruising? I have heard of people using inflatable kayaks, are these any good? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Tony Treen
CC 115 'Wadudu'
Tony Treen
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:45 pm

Hello Tony

Some people use inflatable tenders carried on the deck (deflated), but they do get in the way. Others have towed inflatables on the water. This is a perfectly reasonable solution.
This year I may bring my rigid tender which I use on Kielder water. I will have to transport it on the roof of my car and of course tow it behind Mary Ann. I will lose up to 1 knot of speed but that should not be a problem after all we are cruising, not racing.

P5170649 reduced.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Just an update on those who have expressed an interest in attending the 2018 rally.

So far we have:

Boat Crew

Aurora, ________ Charles Erb
Mary Ann _______ Dennis Ogle
Moneypenny ____ Gary Oldfield
Rondo __________ Malcolm Sadler
Moonshine ______ Mark Donnelly
Sea Badger II ____ Simon Temple
Ladybird ________ Andrew Scullion
Sapphire ________ Paul Turner
Cape Whisper ____ Donald Graham
Meisje __________ Adam Bridger
Wadudu _________ Tony Treen

That is eleven boats to date. It promises to be a good-un. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi Malcolm

I find the CC anchor as supplied by Bob very reliable and would be happy to spend the night at a sheltered anchorage. Bearing in mind the limited facilities onboard it would be useful if we were somewhere there is a pub/restaurant accessible by dinghy although the odd night somewhere more remote would be fine. I will bring a decent size inflatable dinghy.

I have the other Clyde Cruisng Club pilot that covers Kintyre to Ardnamurchan if you were thinking of an itinerary getting to the west side of Kintyre (e.g. through the Crinan canal) although this may not be possible in a week. If you need any information let me know and I can scan the relevant pages. Like you I've only had a week in the area and covered Largs, Tarbert, Isle of Bute and Kip and a bit of Arran.

Looks like we might get a decent turnout.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 am

Thanks Paul. I will come and see you before May for some lessons in single handed anchoring and weighing.

"Sheltered" anchorage is the unknowable in those parts, of course. I think we will need a number of alternative itineraries according to whether the wind is from the NW or SW (here I rely on Gary's flying experience from which he tells me the predominant wind at that time of year is fairly certain to be from some part of the west)

I felt that going through the canal might be a bit too far for a week. There are some good day outings and passages within the Firth and its neighbouring lochs - up Loch Long (Carrick castle for lunch), through the Kyles, to the excellent pub at Otter Ferry, over to Lamlash (very good pub)and or Lochranza (distillery tour?), the circumnavigation of Bute etc. Perhaps we could earmark the canal and the waters of the west coast for the next time Scotland comes up for a Rally?

Gary or I will report back within a few days with our suggestions.

Like you, I'm very pleased to see that a Rally here appeals to a goodly number of people. Gary volunteered to do the negotiations with Marinas, sailing clubs and pubs, and he will have some bargaining power if we are likely to be towards 15 or so boats - perhaps 20/25 people.

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Dennis » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Hello all

There is guide produced every year called "Sail Scotland". It is full of useful information including details of all marinas.

It can be downloaded here: https://www.visitscotland.com/ebrochure ... lscotland/
You have the option of viewing online or downloading a pdf version.

Alternatively, it can picked up (free) at Tourist Information offices or you can request (online) to have a nice glossy version posted to you. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Gary Oldfield » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi all, Malcolm and i have just had a very successful planning session, CC2018 is deff a goer and we are planning a fantastic rally, hopefully as good as chichester 2016.With this in mind im going to start booking moorings based on our planned itinerary, at the moment im going to book for 13 boats and 26 people as i feel sure people by now know if their coming. I would of course like it if we had 20 boats. So could everyone now please email me at cloudscarer@hotmail.com with boat name total crew and days your planning , 26th-3rd june being the official bit. Im staying with at least 2 other boats till the 7th June.

Happy sailing gary
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:39 pm

I thought I could not make it this year due to another commitment but it looks as if I now can!

Anchorages: The problem is that in this area there are few places that have access to a pub or a shop. We stayed at Tighnabruaich in the Kyles of Bute for a night on a mooring. There is a tea room but no pub. Rothesay is also worth a visit and has it famous Victorian Loos. We played crazy golf there!

Probably the best stop would be Lamlash on the Isle of Arran. This could easily be reached in a day from Largs.

Lamlash has good protection from most wind directions due to Holy Island. There are also some good shops/pubs. We stayed at anchor there on a rather stormy night!

There is also a nice temporary anchorage at the top of Great Cumbrae- as well as a good fish and chip shop at the bottom of Great Cumbrae in Millport. If you have children you can also hire cycles here and cycle around the island. Our two had a tandem and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Wildlife: We have seen dolphins, porpoises, golden eagles and a basking shark off Arran. I believe rare white tailed eagles may also be seen. However, we have only seen these on Canna in the Inner Hebrides.

It will be great to get there again as its generally a sheltered area to sail in. I was planning to sail around Arran last year but the forecast put me off. We went minus the boat and stayed a week on Arran and a week on Colensay.

Regards

Simon Head
CC40 "Halcyon"

www.inspiration19.com
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:55 pm

More interest here, the Clyde has been on the list for "one day" for a while, we've sailed there a couple of times before but never yet taken Tystie.

Katie & Alistair Bell
CC92 "Tystie"
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:15 am

I expect Malcolm and Gary to be going public with the proposed itinerary soon.

Here is the updated list of interested parties (In no particular order):

Aurora, ________ Charles Erb
Mary Ann _______ Dennis Ogle
Moneypenny ____ Gary Oldfield
Rondo __________ Malcolm Sadler
Moonshine ______ Mark Donnelly
Sea Badger II ____ Simon Temple
Ladybird ________ Andrew Scullion
Sapphire ________ Paul Turner
Cape Whisper ____ Donald Graham
Meisje __________ Adam Bridger
Wadudu _________ Tony Treen
Halcyon__________Simon Head
Tystie____________Katie & Alistair Bell

Looks like we are going to have an impressive fleet. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Association Events