CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Re: CC19 rally 2017

Postby David Peck » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:23 pm

12th August - Date for 2017 CC19 Rally in Holland (The Netherlands)

The date for this year’s CC19 Rally, to take place in Holland (The Netherlands), has now been decided. It will take place from Saturday 12th August and last for one week until Saturday 19th August 2017. Although it is expected most people will stay on for longer.

My sincere apologies to Malcolm Sadler and his crew Gary Oldfield, who could only make the Spring Bank Holiday week, but I thought the weather aspect was important coupled to the fact I was finding it more difficult to make that time myself. Perhaps you will still be able to rearrange your summer and fit it in!

I will send out more details of the itinerary and collate any launching preferences etc. shortly. Basically it will follow the lines issued in the “Proposed Rally” itinerary but is flexible. The launching site will be Oostwatering near Veere on Saturday 12th August.

For those travelling on the Ferry from Harwich, remember it is the night crossing leaving late on the 11th August that you need to book. I will have one more try next week to see if we can get a group discount but they said no last time because they know they can fill the ferry! Ironically, they are offering discounts for their Spring Holiday crossings.

Hopefully, more people will join the Rally between now and the start. Please note that it will still be possible to attend right up to the start date.

The aim of the Rally is to participate in some fine sailing in good company and above all, to enjoy ourselves!

If anyone has any queries or if you are still considering attending the event, please let me know.

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Re: CC19 rally 2017

Postby David Peck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 pm

12th August - Date for 2017 CC19 Rally in Holland (The Netherlands)

Ferry Crossings

“For those travelling on the Ferry from Harwich, remember it is the night crossing leaving late on the 11th August that you need to book. I will have one more try next week to see if we can get a group discount but they said no last time because they know they can fill the ferry! Ironically, they are offering discounts for their Spring Holiday crossings”.

I have now contacted Stena Line and they have confirmed that they cannot offer any discounts for group travel as this is one of their busiest periods and the ferry will be fully booked at that time.

I can confirm that this is true as I must have booked one of the last places for the night crossing on Friday 11th August. Their website is now showing it fully booked for that Friday night crossing.

An alternative if travelling from Harwich, is to take the Friday morning crossing (if possible) and arrive Friday evening at the launching site. You could then sleep on your boat and launch Saturday morning when others arrive. Another option is to take the Saturday day crossing and launch late Saturday evening with the help of others.

It would appear that the night crossings are the most popular, and this Friday night in particular (it is the only one fully booked at present)! The good news is, that if taking day crossings rather than the more convenient night crossings, you could save around £200 at present! Remember that the fare prices go up as the boat fills and the day gets closer (a bit like Ryan Air)! If booking, don’t forget to buy “Flexi” tickets which allows you to change dates and also get a refund if you change your mind.

Paul and Simon, what will be your travel plans?

If there are any queries, please let me know.

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Re: CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 pm

This is primarily to David...

...to whom sincere thanks for all the work you have done and are doing to plan and organise the Holland Rally. Certainly no apologies due to me (or Gary, I'm sure) that the August date has been chosen. It sounds to be a much safer bet, and if other arrangements had permitted I would have been able to say yes to it. Things may turn out that I can join you at a late stage - and if can I will.

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Paul Turner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:30 pm

I've booked onto the Friday morning ferry returning on Wednesday afternoon (23rd). Tickets allow me to amend or cancel without charge. Looking forward to the adventure.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Simon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:12 pm

I have just booked on the Hull - Rotterdam ferry going out Friday 11th August and coming back on Friday 25th. I should get to Veere around Midday on the 12th. I can change the dates if need be.

I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Simon Temple
CC87 "Sea Badger 2"
Simon
CC19 Association Member

Postby Gary Oldfield » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Have a great time, hope to meet up for next years shinanigins!
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Looks like the Holland trip is going to be fairly select but there's still time to do something at the end of May. I've decided to keep my boatin Fowey this year to give me a chance toexplore the South West. I'd still be interested in a Whitson rally either in the Solent or the South West if anyone is interested. Personally I'd prefer to base it in the South West but happy to go with the flow and happy to do any organising required. Fowey is an interesting base (I hope) as its half way between Falmouth and Plymouth both if which are only a day sail away. Alternately anybody fancy a coastal hopping cruise from say Brixham to Falmouth, either one way or there and back. Or if we were really brave, ( and the weather was settled) do the Scilly Isles.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi Paul,

We're keen to do something in the Solent area during Whitsun week. Simon Head mentioned to me that he was interested in the Yogaff event (which is on the weekend after the BH weekend.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Gary Oldfield » Mon May 08, 2017 8:47 pm

If anyone feels like a northern experience Malcolm and myself are planning a trip from port Glasgow to the kyles of Bute and back 29th of may till 6th June. If anyone has any tips or experience of this area I'd be grateful for
your wisdom.
Gary Oldfield
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Fri May 12, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi Gary

It's tempting but I think I'm now booked up over the bank holiday and maybe Scotland and Holland in the same year may be a bit much. I've also just booked Sapphire in for the year in Fowey so need to take advantage of that.

How about you and Malcolm using your experience this year to organise a Scottish Cape Cutter rally in 2018. I'dcertainly be up for that. 2017 looks like being a bit disappointing in terms of rally participation so we need to try and do better in 2018.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Association Events