CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Postby erbster » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:51 am

The CA has held three rallies now, and they have all been during Whit week, which (judging from the excellent turnout) seems to suit many owners. Plans are underway for the 2017 rally; we are planning something very exciting for next year and, although there are many details which will emerge later, we would like to firm up on the dates. To ensure maximum participation, we need your opinions on timing.

We would like you to consider the two options below and say which one you prefer (A, B or both suitable). We would like responses from as many owners as possible who have some intention to attend, but expressing a preference is not a firm commitment at this stage (obviously you've no need to respond if you do not intend to join us, but if you would like to join us, but don't like either option, please leave a comment).

The plan
We would like to hold a rally in Holland next year. Travel would be by ferry either from Harwich to Hook of Holland or from Hull to Rotterdam. Sailing would be in the Veerse Meer and the Oosterschelde. All venues will be Marina based except one which would be a raft up in the town of Zierikzee but there are good showers and facilities. All venues have good restaurants or club eating in the evenings. Full details to be confirmed; I'm interested only in level of interest and dates at this stage. Whichever time of year is chosen, owners might choose to extend the trip before and/or after the official rally. We will also approach the ferry company with the hope of securing a discount.

Option A
We hold a rally in Holland at Whitsun, as with previous rallies. This time of year seems to suit many owners and does not conflict with the busy summer period when many owners might have other plans. The weather is likely to be fair, but it's still relatively early in the season.

Option B
We hold a rally in Holland during July or August, so the weather will hopefully be warmer. May be more attractive to owners who wish to extend their stay. If the CA went for this option, then we would hope to hold additional event at Whitsun. For example this might be held in the Solent and link up with the Old Gaffers, who have an excellent event in Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight over the bank holiday weekend.

Responses below, before the end of August please.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Re: CC19 rally 2017 - your views please

Postby Paul Turner » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi Charles

I'd be willing to sign up for either option but my preference would be Option B, preferably not right at the end of August (bank holiday).

Paul
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Robert Alston » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:02 pm

Charles

Firstly, thank you for your preliminary work in planning ahead for next year's rally. Secondly, I am very much in agreement with what Paul has said. I would like to opt for the July/August. I would very much like to tie in a trip to the Netherlands with one of the large sailing barge races which is very popular in the summer and by all accounts very exciting to watch. See link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7741,d.d24

There is another post on this forum by Dennis of his experiences of taking Mary Ann to the Dutch lakes in 2013 in the Cruising Areas section which I am sure many will have seen.

As I am based in East Anglia, Harwich to the Hook would be my favoured route and early July to mid August would be my preferred date "window". I am also up for doing something for the Whitsun BH weekend and would be interested in the Solent again or else Plymouth Sound and nearby rivers and possibly Salcombe.

I hope you are having a good season with Aurora and look forward to seeing this thread develop.

All the best Robert Alston
Robert Alston
CC19 Association Member

Postby Mike Quillinan » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:32 am

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your advanced planning for 2017. As a new CC19 owner living and sailing in Holland I am already looking forward to next year's rally here. Either option would suit me, with a slight preference for option A in early June. Although the weather here can be as precarious as it is in England, July is historically the warmest month in Holland, therefore I would consider July being better than August if the general consensus is for option B.

Michael Quillinan
Mike Quillinan
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:49 pm

Mike Quillinan wrote:Hi Charles,

Thank you for your advanced planning for 2017. As a new CC19 owner living and sailing in Holland I am already looking forward to next year's rally here. Either option would suit me, with a slight preference for option A in early June. Although the weather here can be as precarious as it is in England, July is historically the warmest month in Holland, therefore I would consider July being better than August if the general consensus is for option B.

Michael Quillinan

Hello Michael,

I'm in Holland at present in my Cape Cutter currently in Oostwatering near Veere on the Veerse Meer. I'm going over various routes and itinerary for the rally that have been suggested by some friends of mine and looking for suitable marinas, launching sites, restaurants etc. in the Veerse Meer and Ousterschelde. I'm wondering if you are located in/based in this area?

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
Last edited by David Peck on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:25 pm

Hi Charles,

Many thanks for planning this.

I am definitely interested in coming. I am flexible about dates, and don't really have a preference, but would like to know the collective decision in the next few months, before I get booked up for next summer. I would also intend to stay for an additional week, probably after the rally.

The Hull - Rotterdam route is easier for me and I would probably use it.

Best wishes,

Simon Temple
CC19 87 Sea Badger 2
Simon
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dave de Groot » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your taking the efford organizing such event in Holland. Me and my brother Niels own CC81 and we are both living and sailing in Holland (although non of us lives close to Veere, for us it is about a 2.5hr drive). Either option would suit us, but we have a preference for option A in early June.

Kind regards,

Dave de Groot
Dave de Groot
Non Association Member

Postby Robert Alston » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:41 am

Charles, I am posting this as you, like me, are possibly a little disappointed by the lack of take-up from the membership to the idea of a rally in the Netherlands. I am very keen to make this a reality and very much hope that others will respond positively:-

I guess that most Cape Cutter owners are (like me) still enjoying this season and won't really turn our thoughts to next season until after we have taken our boats out of the water in October/November! Doubts over likely cost and the poor (ish) rate of the £ to the euro may be a factor but I am keen to go before we invoke Article 50!

I am willing to help if I can on getting prices/quotes from ferry operators or whatever but feel that this rally plan needs to be bumped up a bit on the website and made into a "sticky" so that it doesn't get missed, both by members and by visitors alike.

All the best,

Robert Alston
#108 Vedette
Robert Alston
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Good points Robert. I was hoping for more responses, and there's still time. My feeling from this and other feedback is that there is both a consensus and enough owners interested to make it a viable trip. More info to follow...

Meanwhile, if anyone else has an views, express them now!
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:42 pm

Sorry to be a late responder

I would definitely like to join in, either bringing Rondo or, according to cost, doubling up with another member.

The date of the 2016 Rally suited me well as no conflict with family holidays in the summer, but if the consensus is for summer I should be able to make it given enough to prior notice.

If Holland is in July/Aug, then I agree with other responders that an earlier trip to Solent would be good - though that should probably be a DIY event as it would be unfair to expect that to be organised (if at all) to the same extent as the Rally - too much burden placed on our kind volunteers.

All the best

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Next

Return to Association Events