CC19 Rally 2016 - Chichester Harbour

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Re: CC19 Rally 2016 - Chichester Harbour

Postby Paul Turner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:12 am

Mike Brooke has just had a trip to the Isle of Wight to confirm details of our cruise to Bembridge and Wooton Creek on the Isle of Wight. The following email from Mike demonstrates that we'll get a warm welcome:

"Had a wonderful ‘round robin’ day over on the Isle of Wight today (over on the Fast Cat and back on the Car Ferry) and I’m glad to report a very warm welcome wherever we went. In summary:
Bembridge.
Malcolm Thorpe, Harbourmaster, has granted us full rally rates with figures to follow once the 2016 tariffs are published. Given our minimal on board facilities, he agreed to put the fleet near the ramp with good access to the shower block 24/7. He offered the use of their self help BBQ for £30 but I think the Brading Haven YC is a much better option.
Gemma Wall, Secretary Brading Haven YC, delighted to have us for supper. I guessed at 30-35 at this stage and Tracey, the Chef, said she could do Main and Pud for £15 per cover. Choice of Steak or Fish or Veggie. She’ll let me have some option in due course. Forgot to ask about breakfast but will cover that as we go – no probs I’m sure. Really good atmosphere – nice people.
Wotton Creek/Royal Victoria YC. Lovely welcome from Keith, the Manager, and Rachel the Secretary. We can berth the fleet on the jetty for a rally rate of £1 per metre – amazing value as this includes full use of the Club 24/7. Met Gail, the chef and Wednesday 1st June is Pie Night. These are home-made (meat, fish and veggie) and she can offer Pie and Pud for £11 per head or individually at £7 and £4. Also, Breakfast the following morning. Possible activity in the morning for those who would like a short leg stretch (about 15 mins) is Quarr Abbey which still has some monks... quite historic. We can set off about 1200 as its neaps and Keith estimates approx 1 metre of water around the jetty."
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby David Peck » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Cape Cutter 19 International Rally (Chichester)

Are you a 5.8er or a 7.2er?

In his email announcing the location and dates for the 2016 International Rally, Dennis wrote:-

“The Solent is not the cheapest sailing area in the country but Chichester Marina has agreed an 18% discount to £20 per night if we can get 12 boats there for the week. The discount will reduce to 10% (£22) for 10+ boats.”

The above prices are obviously based on the Marina’s tariff of £3.05/metre and our boats being 7.2m overall. However, have owners considered bringing their bowsprits in before entering a marina. We are fortunate in having a well-designed boat that makes this possible. By fitting quick release “Pelican Hooks” this is easily achievable (see my photos in Albums). Just release the bob stays and water stay tensioner rope, lower the genoa halyard about a metre and pull the furled genoa/yankee and bowsprit over 180 degrees and leave on deck.

Although I save in marina fees (I keep my boat in a marina all year), the main reason is to make docking easier and much safer. You can do an awful lot of damage with a bow sprit and especially one with all that sharp metal at the end! Fenders on neighbouring boats are not much use with a probe getting between them and the other boat’s hull. I always try to set the bowsprit before leaving, however, as exiting is usually less problematical and can be planned in advance.

Regarding the 2016 Rally, I’m sulking because Holland has not been chosen and will not attend!! :( No actually I’m joking but the Rally unfortunately does appear to be coinciding, yet again, with the Calais Rally that I always attend so I may only be available for the latter part. I see there is already a green one, so my presence for the whole week is not essential for the honour of the colour! However, with all the problems associated with Calais at present, this event may not materialize so then I would be free for the whole week. I will decide nearer the event.

I had a group of Dutch Sailing aficionado friends who were keen to help organise a Cape Cutter Rally so perhaps, if enough people are interested in Holland, a rally for 2017 could be considered/organised.

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Like you I normally describe my boat as 5.8 metres when booking a marina berth, for price not safety. Although I can easily raise the bowsprit I don't unless the marina insists on it. The negotiations with Chichester marina have been handled by Mike Brooke who lives in the area and I suspect £20 a night was the best he was going to get irrespective of quoted loa. I don't think most owners would want to raise the bowsprit every time they enter the marina so I can see why it would be safer to quote the correct LOA which is 7.2m. I agree that £20 per night isn't particularly cheap but I think the overall package is reasonable value. I'll be visiting the marina with Mike in the new year so we'll continue to try to maximise the vfm.

I'd be very happy to join a Holland rally if someone with experience of the area wants to volunteer to organise it. I suspect that the numbers signing up to such a rally may be fairly low just as so far we haven't had any European mainland based boats joining a UK based rally. I'm still hoping that there will be a Scottish rally in 2016.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Paul Turner wrote: I'm still hoping that there will be a Scottish rally in 2016.

Hello Paul

Have look at Chris Imray's album "Dream" which he posted on Christmas Day.
It is a super incentive to have a Scottish rally.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Looks amazing! If there is a week organised in Scotland I'll probably take Sapphire up for a couple of months and commute.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:21 am

David Peck wrote:Cape Cutter 19 International Rally (Chichester)

Are you a 5.8er or a 7.2er?

When asked the length, I always say "Cape Cutter 19, 19 feet, 5.8m" and raise the bowsprit if asked. I agree with the other comments though, that this represents good value on the Solent. Mike has put together an excellent looking programme, taking advantage of local contacts; I'm not quibbling over the fees.

Regarding Holland, that's on my to-do list. So many places to sail, so little time!
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:10 am

Happy New Year to everyone. We now have another boat signed up for Chichester - Julian Fisher on Salty Dog 126. We now have 7 travelling boats plus 2 local. It appears that these rallies are popular with new boat owners - we now have 125, 126 and 127. I think the fact that a number of boats are now doing these rallies every year is good evidence that it's great fun and that towing fairly long distances is not a problem. If anyone wants further information drop me a line or talk to anyone who's been on previous rallies.

Now that we've got Christmas and New Year out of the way and the days are getting longer !!! it would be nice if we could get other boats signed up. All parts of the programme are now confirmed and Mike and I are visiting the marina in February to confirm the final details.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 am

Well said, Paul.
I'm sure with the thoughtful planning you and Mike have put in, it will be a very successful and enjoyable event (just as the previous two have been)

Here's to sixteen in '16!
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:09 pm

The arrangements for the 2016 International Capecutter Week continue to develop.

Mike Brooke has agreed to do a talk / masterclass on the Sunday evening, on sailing a CC19, covering rig, tuning and sail set for tackling the round the island race and sailing round the UK.
This will be a most useful (and entertaining) event, and all who participate will no doubt enjoy, and learn from it.

Mike Brooke is eminently qualified to deliver the talk / masterclass. He chose the Capecutter 19 as the boat to use for his successful sail around Britain in 2008 to raise money for the charities: ‘Fight for Sight’, the ‘Cetacean Research & Rescue Unit’ and ‘Guide Dogs for the Blind’ . Mike subsequently published a book about his experiences on that voyage.

Mike also subsequently achieved three class wins in the “Round the Island” race with his (then) Capecutter 19 “Sea Badger II”.

Mike is the current President of the Capecutter 19 Association.

The talk / masterclass will take place at Chichester Yacht Club which is the base for the week. We've chosen the Sunday as it will be more useful at the start of the week, and Mike can then provide further practical help during the week for people that want it either in the marina or from his Harbour launch.

If you are interested please contact the Webmaster or Paul Turner.

As a taster, he is a picture of Mike on initial ‘solo training’ on board Sea Badger II in Chichester Harbour (Itchenor Reach) prior to his round Britain voyage in 2008.

2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Simon Head » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:24 am

Hello

I would also like to sign up for the Chichester rally in May

So with a white boat the compliment of colours is complete!

My daughter Marion will be my crew this year.

I would also like to get together a collection of boats for a cruise from Largs on the August bank holiday around the Clyde which is a week later than the Holyhead Old gaffers event

Plan is to local sail the weekend (Kyles of Bute around Great Cumbrae etc) and then to Arran/Cambletown then up the west coast of Arran during the following week (dependent upon weather).

If anyone is interested please PM me and I will create another entry in the forum.

This is a fantastic area to cruise- we have spent several holidays up there with the likelihood of seeing beautiful wildlife. We have seen dolphins/porpoises, golden eagles, sea otters in previous years.

Kind Regards

Simon Head
Halcyon
http://www.inspiration19.com

ps I have always been a 5.8m when betrthing at Chichester Marina (been there several times when cruising the Solent)
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

PreviousNext

Return to Association Events