Crewing Opportunities

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Crewing Opportunities

Postby Ian Senior » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 am

I currently own and sail a Drascombe Lugger. I am visiting the 2015 Rally at Suffolk Yacht Harbour and would welcome the opportunty of being invited for a test sail on this little boat. I am looking for a boat suitable for coastal sailing which is seakindly and provides ease of handling for a short handed crew ie single handed sailing or with a small guest crew. I like the covered deck providing simple shelter and accommodation below and a fived lead ballast keel with self righting ability. Looking forward to meeting you all, viewing the CC19 Cutter and having a chat and hopefully a sail too.
Ian Senior
Non Association Member

Re: Crewing Opportunities

Postby Greybeard » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:41 pm

Im sure you'll have an opportunity to sail in several boats, Ian. :)
As far as being a very safe and stable boat to take out single handed, have no worries at all. I sailed Drascombes of various types over the years, that's why we went for a CC19 when we decided on a bigger boat - comfort and a tendency not to fall over was a major factor for the crew, who isnt an all-weather sailor. We've not regretted it for a second. Launch/recovery is easy enough single handed in spite of the boat being much heavier than what you may be used to, but a helping hand in a cross wind does come in useful for getting lined up on the trailer. They do take longer to rig from scratch than a Drascombe but the vast increase in sailing pleasure outweighs that.
Ive also found that they tow like a dream. I use a low powered (84bhp)VW T5, and other than using a lower gear on some long climbs on our trip up to the Scottish West Coast, last summer, it can be easy to forget shes there. Even with the extra weght, I was still averaging 32 to 34 mpg and sat hapily at 60mph on the motorways. Compared to my usual 43/44mpg solo I didnt think that was too bad at all.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Runrig » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Ian
I am expecting to be at the 2015 rally
I bought Froach late in 2013 so I am new to the delights of a pocket cruiser.
I would be happy to welcome you aboard in Suffolk during the Cape Cutter Week or the week before as I hope to go down early.
Cheers
Paul
Runrig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ian Senior » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:03 am

Really looking forward to visiting the 2015 Rally at Suffolk Yacht harbour. Thanks Steve and Paul for your reply. Hope to meet you both and thanks Paul for your invite to sail on Froach.
Ian Senior
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Hello all.

You are going to be busy man Ian, remember you are expected on "Mary Ann" as well.

Paul, have you had a change of boat name? :rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing your revised rigging arrangements.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Association Events