International Cape Cutter Week 2015

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

International Cape Cutter Week 2015

Postby erbster » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Everyone who came to the very enjoyable week we had in Mylor over Whitsun commented that they would like to participate in such an event again. There were also some who said they would have come, but circumstances prevented.

So, what to do next time? There was lots of discussion, many ideas and no decisions made (yet).

It was decided that we should ask everyone interested in attending a possible future event what they thought, so that any plans made would include the maximum number of boats (we have to beat the record of 5 boats this year).

Therefore, I have devised a short survey; please fill it in if you are interested in the idea of attending a gathering of Cape Cutters.

It's worth noting that several people attended who don't (currently) have CC's and they got to join in too. There was plenty of help on hand for rigging, launching etc.

Please add any additional comments to this thread. After there has been time for all interested parties to respond, I will post a summary of the survey findings here. No personal data will be shared, passed on or used for anything except planning a CC event.

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5LG8CZQ
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:35 pm

As the newest owner (I only picked up Sapphire 4 days before the start of the 2014 International Cape Cutter week) I would like to echo all the positive comments about the 2014 week and express support for future events. As a new owner I learned more in a week than I could have done in a full season. If it wasn't for Russell and Charles I'd still be trying to work out how to rig it now. It was a very enjoyable week and I would be keen to join at least one similar event each year.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby erbster » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Paul, I'd still like to hear the advice Mike Brooke gave you!

This is a last call for responses to the survey; at the end of the week, I will close it and publish the findings. We can the begin plans for next year's event (events?)
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Details of the 2015 event are now announced on our web site (http://capecutter19association.org/news/2015-international-cape-cutter-week-announced/) and Facebook page. There's also a video of the highlights from the 2014 Mylor event:

Here is a summary of what the survey results told us and why we (the class association "virtual committee") decided on River Orwell/Suffolk Yacht Harbour:

There were 16 survey respondents. As would be expected, the respondents were quite enthusiastic and there seemed to be general support for a range of options. Most of the questions were quite closed (i.e. with suggested responses), so one might argue that respondents were led in certain directions (though I tried to keep the range of options wide). However, there were also opportunities for open (text-based) responses for respondents with ideas or opinions not offered in the survey.

It seems that respondents are prepared to travel up to 300 miles to an event; support exists for longer distances, but is much less emphatic above this (arbitrary) limit.

There was a clear preference for anchoring, sleeping aboard and including family. Feelings on the need for additional accommodation and marina facilities every night were neutral, with comments suggesting a mixture of marina and anchoring. The text comments also requested social events, club dinner and sailing in company. Comments about marinas frequently mentioned the need for good facilities (which I would interpret as decent showers, along with all the normal marina stuff). Also mentioned (understandably) were good road access and good launching facilities.

The most popular times of year were Whitsun or June, with a strong minority (29%) requiring school holidays (i.e. Whitsun). It is worth noting that the Semaine du Golfe takes place every odd year and some owners may wish to attend this event. This event takes place on 11-17th May 2015, so would probably not clash with a Whitsun event (although if I was planning to attend the SdG next year, I would not be keen on a Whitsun event very soon after). The next most popular option was September or July. The least popular option was Easter, presumably because of the volatility of the weather and the likely lower temperatures.

The most popular location was West of Scotland, closely followed by Suffolk/Essex and then North Wales. From the comments, there seemed to be a feeling that having had an event in the far South/West this year, the next event should be East and/or North, with a large number of respondents living in the Midlands/North of England. Comments also suggested alternative locations: Fowey, Salcombe, Lake District, Caledonian Canal, Sound of Mull, Scilly Isles, Friesland, Baltic (all of which sound like suitable and interesting locations.

On the basis that we decided to hold Cape Cutter Week 2015 at Whitsun (Saturday 23rd May to Sunday 31st May) on the East coat This was (very nearly) jointly most popular option, and a sailing event on a small boat at Whitsun in Scotland is a bit of a gamble with the weather in my opinion.

Having sailed that area myself this Easter, Suffolk Yacht Harbor (near Ipswich on the River Orwell) has been chosen as a base. This has a good ramp, easy road access (dual carriageway to within a couple of miles; good road links from the North East, Midlands and South West) and good marina facilities. It's also well served by the port of Harwich, which we hope will encourage our friends in Germany, Netherlands and Belgium to join us.

Considering the locations supplied in the survey, Suffolk seems a good fit. It is approximately 200 miles from the Birmingham and East Yorkshire areas, less than 250 miles from the Manchester or Dorset areas, approximately 300 miles from the Newcastle area. Furthermore, I am aware that a number of owners (who did not respond to the survey) are based in this area and would be more likely to participate (also advise, help organize?) if it was on their home waters.

There is plenty of sheltered sailing if the weather is not great, but lots of overnight hops if the weather is good- this would enable a marina – anchorage – marina pattern. This season I was based at SYH for a fortnight at Easter and consider it to be the most suitable location on the river Orwell and also perfect for voyages (via anchorages) to Hamford Water (aka Secret Water) and the Blackwater, to the River Deben (Woodbridge marina is very nice) and the River Ore (Snape Maltings anyone?). This provides picturesque (and sheltered) river sailing, as well as open sea sailing if weather conditions are right.

Please email webmaster@capecutter19association.org to register your interest. Also, please feel free to post comments and suggestions below...
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:37 pm

So the list so far is:

Aurora
Mary Ann
Sapphire

That is a good start. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:23 am

Dennis wrote:So the list so far is:

Aurora
Mary Ann
Sapphire

That is a good start. :D

I would really like to see local boats joining in; we ought to get into double figures. I wonder if it's worth emailing the locals and encouraging them to join in, perhaps by asking them to suggest favourite locations we can cruise to? I wonder if we could contact a local sailing club to organise a race for us? Perhaps Bob would sponsor a cup? If we can find a CC owner who is a member of a local club, maybe that would help generate interest? I was thinking of, rather than "round the cans", a longer distance race. Thoughts?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:28 am

We can try e-mailing the "locals" to try and get them involved, but who are the locals?

We will have to try and identify the "locals"

David Peck
Stewart Grant "Moth"
Drew and Abigail Matthews "Capers"
Jan Robert Brown "Samphire"
James Broadway "Enigma"
Ian Maciver "Minnie"

Dave Prior "Tango Delta" I believe has just sold his.
Geoff Platten "Swallowtail" he is selling his boat at the end of this season.

It is a start, there are a number of others on the list, but the information has not been updated, and are probably not members of this forum.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:04 pm

Dennis wrote:We can try e-mailing the "locals" to try and get them involved, but who are the locals?

We will have to try and identify the "locals"

David Peck
Stewart Grant "Moth"
Drew and Abigail Matthews "Capers"
Jan Robert Brown "Samphire"
James Broadway "Enigma"
Ian Maciver "Minnie"

Dave Prior "Tango Delta" I believe has just sold his.
Geoff Platten "Swallowtail" he is selling his boat at the end of this season.

It is a start, there are a number of others on the list, but the information has not been updated, and are probably not members of this forum.

Tango delta has apparently been bought by a friend of Chris wicks and is in Norfolk. Capers is at waldringfield on the Deben. If we could email any of these people and aka if their club would help us?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:11 pm

I have sent (another) e-mail to the owners of "Capers".

I do not think that the new owners of TD are members (yet) so I have no way of contacting them. I am hoping that Chris may be able to help.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 am

Hi, I know my friends Tony and Helen Adams are here in Pelion now handing over their current boat They have finalised the deal with Tango Delta. I have passed on links to them to join CC19A. Also Moth is based in Chichester the owner Stewart Grant is friends with owner of Caperberry 102.... James B. I think they would join in at Chichester in the future. But because the register shows Moth is on the East Coast why not contact Stewart anyway. Any contact that might involve owners now or later on is worthwhile...?

Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Next

Return to Association Events