Aegean Rally 2022

Queries, questions or write ups regarding Association events

Re: Aegean Rally 2022

Postby Paul Turner » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:03 am

Hi Chris. I'm still seriously considering keeping my boat in Greece when the timing is right. Those yard prices are very reasonable. The only thing that worries me about that area is that it doesn't seem to be the easiest place to get to particularly early and late in the season. Also may not be as sheltered as the Ionian which I love. I've just read the Lugworm book - he doesn't do a great job of encouraging small boat sailing in the Aegean - he seems to nearly wreck his boat every other day. Anyway it's pouring down outside so it's something nice to think about.
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Tony Treen » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:07 pm

Chris, am still considering a visit out for a few weeks next summer. What is making me think twice is the long drive there and back on my own. What is the security situation like for driving through Serbia and N Macedonia?
Tony Treen
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:16 pm

Serbia is not a problem. If you have SSR registration and boat papers they may want to look at these. For me it was only a matter of showing the SSR certificate and the corresponding SSR number on the boat. Other ownership papers plus the boat hull number would do the same. N. Macedonia should be the same. I choose to go through Bulgaria after Serbia, which adds an hour or two but gets you back in an EU country. I have not been outside Greece since Brexit but it should be ok.

There is always a need to be street-wise, in Serbia I parked where I could see the car/boat in filling stations. I stayed one night in Serbia at a hotel with a secure compound for parking.

I can help with journey planning via PM. My last trip was from Calais. I made an overnight stop near Frankfurt, then 2nd night just into Hungary at the Austrian border, (about an hour past Vienna) the 3rd night near Nis in Serbia arriving in Greece (Pelion) on day 4. Each stop was planned with inexpensive hotels and secure parking... Of course, you might sleep on board. But my last trip was towing my Lune Whammel, an open boat so hotels were comfortable and secure.
Last edited by Chris Wicks on Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:26 pm

Replying to Paul. I would have no worries about the sailing area, we are semi sheltered in the gulf of Volos or the lee of the Sporades islands. Shelter and safe harbours are abundant. My wife would not put up with it otherwise... For access year round flights to Thessaloniki and then it is just 2.5 hours down the national road to Volos. May to October easyJet fly Gatwick to Volos, but we have no problem traveling from Thess. Easy access brings the masses, Pelion takes a bit more effort but then you do find yourself in a totally unspoiled little paradise...
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:37 pm

The idea of an Aegean Rally is always appealing to me but as we live here it is an easy option. There are 4 Cape Cutter 19's based on the Pelion peninsular and we enjoy the freedom of an amazing sailing area.

Charles Erb floated the idea last year before selling his CC19 to move on to something a little bigger, Molly a Cornish Crabber 26.

We were delighted when Charles and family decided to spend 10 days in our cottage and spend some time sailing with us on Kaliope.

Here is his write up. https://meanderingmolly592108744.wordpr ... interlude/

We are always happy to help anyone wishing to discover this area, the Gulf of Volos, Trikeri channel and the North Sporades islands, Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonyssos.

Best wishes

Chris and Kathryn
Kaliope of Pelion
CC19 67
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:04 pm

Thoroughly recommended!
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Association Events