Tiller Tamers

Questions or comments regarding sailing your Cape Cutter 19.....

Tiller Tamers

Postby Killick Greenie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Has anyone fitted a tiller tamer to their boat? I'm looking forward to some single handed sailing but not sure what to use on the tiller for those times when I need to set sail, reef, lower sails or put the kettle on.

Thanks
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby zimp » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:38 pm

Just a loop of shockcord from the engine around the tiller. Works fine for setting sail or making coffee.
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm

zimp wrote:Just a loop of shockcord from the engine around the tiller. Works fine for setting sail or making coffee.

Excellent idea! Thank you.
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Re: Tiller Tamers

Postby Julian Fisher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:09 am

There was an item on tiller tamers in this month's PBO. What I've done is to screw a jamming cleat to the underside of the tiller and put a loop of shock cord over each of the stern cleats, joined together under slight tension with a length of 6mm line. If I want to fix the tiller, I pull the line forward and put it in the cleat. It works brilliantly, the tiller is held firmly with very slight give because of the shock cord and is easily and minutely adjustable.It gives me ample time to do all the usual jobs or go up to the foredeck with the boat under complete control. I can use it to tack if both headsails are set and I'm singlehanded by setting the tiller for a slow turn which gives me time (and both hands) to furl the genoa and reset on the other side.
Julian Fisher
CC19 Association Member

Postby ColinMcD » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Julian -
Brilliant ! You have crystallised the idea that's been lurking at the back of my mind for a while, and now I know exactly what to go for. I always seem to be afloat with an able and enthusiastic crew (my wife Randi) but it is certainly very useful to be able to relinquish the tiller to sort out other things from time to time ...
Colin
Foxglove (56)
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby Julian Fisher » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Good luck with it Colin. Let us know how you get on.

Julian
Salty Dog 126
Julian Fisher
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:19 am

I have a similar arrangement on Aurora, but I find it very hard to set so that she sails in a straight line; if I leave the tiller clamped, most often the boat will turn off course. I mostly use the tiller tamer to stop the rudder "rattling" when we're sleeping aboard. I wonder if the shock cord element is important? Seems like a good excuse to buy a copy of PBO.
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Seamanship