A Cape Cutter 19 Rowboat?

Questions or comments regarding sailing your Cape Cutter 19.....

Postby David Peck » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:52 pm

When I first launched my boat last year with its newly installed inboard diesel engine, one of my sailing advisors (I have many) told me I should take an outboard engine and an inflatable dinghy to raft alongside in case the diesel failed and it would enable me to get back to my berth if there was no wind. I was confident it would not fail but took his advice and piled in a 2.5hp outboard and an Avon Redcrest inflatable. It did not fail but I was surprised how much room they took up inside the boat. I have not taken them since but in December, I was out in the boat with temperatures close to zero and the wind died completely and I did wonder how I would get back if the engine failed. The prospect of being stuck out in the boat during the night with temperatures falling below zero was thought provoking and I wondered if it would be possible to row the boat?

Discussions with a rowing enthusiast indicated that rowing a 1.5tonne boat should be possible. Also, sculling from the stern would be an option.

I think by sitting on the bridge deck and using relatively long oars (carbon fibre naturally) and rowlocks fitted into the top of the coamings, this should be possible. The lightweight oars could then easily be stored below. The problem at the moment is, I cannot bring myself to drill two holes in the coamings for the rowlocks, despite having considerably hacked the boat about to install the diesel engine!

What are other members’ views on rowing a Cape Cutter?

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby bellalistair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:44 am

I've never tried myself but plenty of the three peaks yacht race competitors row when the wind dies and I think get reasonable movement and those boats are plenty bigger than a CC. Some thought needed on ergonomics but you should be able to make reasonable progress.

Alistair
bellalistair
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for your reassurance about the feasibility of rowing a CC19. The Three Peaks Race is certainly a good example of where it is practiced, albeit with masochistic, energetic crews of up to five! I had, however, the more leisurely single handed rowing in mind. You are right about the need for a lot of thought on the ergonomics though.

I was thinking about asking the Oxford University Rowboat Club if they have any unbroken carbon fibre oars they no longer require but I think it might not be a good time right now!

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:08 pm

It must be winter as my mind has turned to fiddling about with a boat I've not even had afloat yet! :rolleyes: Rewiring and fitting a nice iroko switchbox is the current (sorry!) project, but others pop up as I go along.
I'm a great fan of sculling - I got Collars oars to make me a sculling oar to some dimensions I provided for them to use on my Drascombe a while ago (they have since added the oar to their range - no commission forthcoming though ;) ) and it's ideal for manoeuvring in narrow creeks or near moorings when the rattle of an iron tops'l would shatter the peace.
I quite fancy setting up Falcon for a scull and wondered if anyone else has tried it.
Moving just 1.5 tonnes shouldn't be difficult. I have used a scull in a cog boat (a very heavy, traditional bluff bowed clinker built dinghy) to turn a 60ft Humber keel on its berth by pushing at her stern quarter just as they did before the advent of engines. It's a fine way to save money on gymn fees :o
Fitting the rowlock is the main point under consideration - stainless steel would be ideal though I've seen these as an option-
http://www.bainbridgemarine.com/Item.aspx?Item=PRD-102120amp;PartNo=P29613
but it would mean drilling through the transom to fit the side mounted version. Is the transom hollow or is it laminated on a wooden core?

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:16 pm

We bought a rowboat with oars of about 3 meters a few weeks ago.
Next season I'll try to put them on our CC19. I'll post the results here.
zimp
Non Association Member

Sculling

Postby Chris Wicks » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 pm

I am experimenting with sculling. So far I have fitted a rowlock to the transom and will try initially with a 3 metre oar borrowed from my Lune Whammel. See progress here in pictures. To be continued. https://www.facebook.com/pg/capecutter1 ... tn__=-UC-R
Chris
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Return to Seamanship