Tacking angle

Questions or comments regarding sailing your Cape Cutter 19.....

Tacking angle

Postby optimist » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:08 pm

I am thinking about changing my 1970's Drascombe Drifter for a Cape Cutter

Principally this is due to my poor tacking angle and draft of 3'

Can anyone give me info about how well the Cape Cutter sails to the wind and tacks?

Also one well loved Drifter for sale
optimist
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Hello Optimist

I can report that the CC19 sails very well into the wind, particularly when carrying full sail.

Here is a GPS plot of Mary Ann short tacking east out of my mooring (Whickhope inlet, Kielder Water).

The wind was light, about F1 Easterly. Full mainsail, Staysail and Genoa. As you can see she was tacking through a true 70 degrees (less than that on deck). It certainly impresses me.:)

My previous boat was a Winkle Brig which had twin lifting centre(?) plates, which gave great space in the cabin (no centre-board box) but it would take twice as many tacks to cover the same distance as the CC19.:(

I would suggest that you persuade someone to give you a demo sail, where are you based?

Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:47 pm

I would certainly endorse Dennis' comments about how well CC's go to windward and tack easily.

(I have edited the original message after it was pointed out via a private message that I was advertising our business. My appologies for this as I accept it is a breach of association rules. We are happy to take anyone sailing on Kaliope who is visiting this area and who contacts us via Honnor Marine or this web site. We never have and never will charge anybody for sailing with us.)
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby David Hudson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:18 pm

I find Tokoloshe' best windward performance is with the genny sheet led inboard of the shrouds. Watch the telltales!

The above causes little diminution of offwind performance. Just make sure the genny luff does not go forward of the forestay.
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Return to Seamanship