Solution to sliding hatch leaks

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Solution to sliding hatch leaks

Postby Dennis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:46 pm

This thread has been extracted from the "Welcome to new member "Runrig" thread.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:33 pm

ColinMcD wrote:At the end of last week we went to Rochdale to look at two boats Bob's got in on brokerage for refurbishing, and we have agreed the purchase of hull no. 56, Foxglove. That's Bob's first production CC19 I believe, and he's going to give her a make-over with quite a lot of new and replacement stuff. She should look splendid, and we are very pleased and not a little excited.

Hoping to be able to trail her away before Easter, and the plan is to keep her in Argyll.

Colin and Randi McDougall
Oslo, Norway.

Congratulations Colin on obtaining a CC19.

Whilst your boat is being refurbished at Honnor Marine, I would suggest you ask Bob to carry out the sliding hatch modification to prevent rain/seawater leaking in. He has the details and drawings to carry this out. This modification applies to all CC19's built prior to hull number 107. I believe he has been carrying it out from hull number 107 onwards*.

The modification used to be shown in an article I wrote on our old website under Articles (in my opinion this section should not have been removed). However, you can see the article in Simon Head's blog "Halcyon" under modifications.

*PS As boats were not necessarily built in correct numerical order, hull number 107 can only be taken as a guide (see post 3 below).

Regards
David Peck
CC 94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:29 pm

David Peck wrote: This modification applies to all CC19's built prior to hull number 98. I believe he has been carrying it out from hull number 98 onwards.

Thanks for that info David.

As you know I have hull number 100. But I do not think mine has the mod. Bob does not necessarilly build the boats in exact numerical order. I know that 107 was built well before mine, and I know that mine was built early (to exhibit No. 100 at the 2008 Southampton show). I suspect that 98 was built after 100. Ho hum! :confused:

I will talk to Bob.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Peck » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:25 pm

Dennis wrote:Thanks for that info David.

As you know I have hull number 100. But I do not think mine has the mod. Bob does not necessarilly build the boats in exact numerical order. I know that 107 was built well before mine, and I know that mine was built early (to exhibit No. 100 at the 2008 Southampton show). I suspect that 98 was built after 100. Ho hum! :confused:

I will talk to Bob.

Sorry Dennis, I got that wrong!! Hull number 106 (Katrina-Popeye) was the last boat, I believe, to leave the factory without the mod. I remember sending details for carrying out the mod to the owner. He (Frank) had raised concerns with Honnor Marine about the leaks that were widely reported on our website Forum at the time, as he was just about to take delivery of his finished boat.

If you say they were all built out of order then it is difficult to know exactly what boats had the mod carried out on them by Honnor Marine.

Many boats may not yet have experienced any leaks as it tends to show itself when the boat is floating more down on its bow i.e. if you have a load of gear or you are sleeping in the forepeak. Also, if you dry out, the boat tends to settle slightly more down on the bows due to the keel at the stern raising the back end of the boat.

Regards
David Peck
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby ColinMcD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:22 pm

[quote="David Peck"] Whilst your boat is being refurbished at Honnor Marine, I would suggest you ask Bob to carry out the sliding hatch modification to prevent rain/seawater leaking in.
David Peck
CC 94 Whistling Rufus

David -
Thanks for the tip . I shall look up the info. on this. When we saw the boat last weekend there was evidence of water having sat in the bottom of the boat for some time, and this may not be unconnected.

I half expect that Bob may have this on his list of tasks (though it didn't come up in our discussions), but I'll raise the question.

And Simon -
Thrilled to hear that Foxglove's being already worked on (we have decided to keep the name)! Thanks for passing this on. And yes, if you find you've got a pic. of her in that state, we'd be delighted to see it - when you get your laptop back.

We were allowed to look over Drift that day we were at the works: most useful amongst other things to see the current specification for external woodwork on a new boat, all of which is being replaced on Foxglove with new as part of the re-furb. Gunwales and coach-top grab rails are much heftier now than the originals. She's getting a new samson post and mast too!

And Steve -
Yes - it all came together once we gauged that Bob was happy to show us no.56 in the state she was in. And then we had to plan a long weekend flying over from Oslo ... :)

Colin McDougall
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 pm

David Peck wrote:However, you can see the article in Simon Head's blog "Halcyon" under modifications.

Have you a link for that please, David?
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:45 am

erbster wrote:Have you a link for that please, David?

I have already suggested to Russell that there should be a direct link the David's article from the association Wordpress site.

Perhaps Charles you could make that one of your first tasks when you assume responsibility for that site. :rolleyes:

I must say that Simon Head has done a super job of his inspiration19 website, IMHO it is much better than the original association website.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical