Anchor chain holder

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Postby Greybeard » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Has anyone tried/uses leaded anchor warp? I've been looking at this stuff -

http://www.seamarknunn.com/acatalog/liros-leaded-rope-anchor-line-with-bag-30m-x-10mm-7523.html#.UoUl9XRFCUk

A bit more expensive than having a chain and rope, but possibly easier to stow. I reckon 10mm would be strong enough for a CC with a CQR anchor (which I already have - it came with the Dabber but was far too big at 15lb for her really. Any opinions?

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Looks a good idea as any extra weight helps set an anchor. I've not seen any opinions of this sort of thing though.
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby popeye » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm using this "ledded" ancor rope if we are doing lake cruising on the Tegernsee and I'm very happy with it.

If we're cruising in the Balti Sea I add 5m chain (6 mm) between ancor an rope so that I've some more security for coastal conditions. It fits into the bag also and you can remove it very quick for storage in the cabin.

I can fully recommend this spec.

Rgds

Frank
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:18 pm

It looks like a neat solution to me. I would probably add 5 metres of 6mm chain, it will take very little space and will improve the holding power.

Only downside I can think of is that it will have a lot less "give" than 3 strand nylon rope which will absorb shock loads better. This may not be an issue in normal use.

Just remember Kielder Water is 44 metres deep. :rolleyes:
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Mmmm. 44m, eh? Perhaps I'd better look at getting a tender to carry it all in then :confused:

I'd imagine that for 'long term' or regular anchoring on a rough bottom a chain would stand up to the wear and tear quite a bit better, so yes, I agree, Frank, that a length of chain would be a good idea to take along too.
I'll order a length and see how we get on - I'll go for the 12mm I think as it will be a bit easier to handle and also takes a load of over 2 tons - it may come in handy on long, shallow slipways too.

Steve
Steve (Treasurer) East Yorkshire
Ex-CC19 Falcon - Hull number 39 - 2003 that is now berthed in South Australia
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Other Technical