Sign Writing

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Sign Writing

Postby Killick Greenie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:46 pm

Having considered long and hard we have decide to rename our boat (no offence to the previous owner) to 'Manana Maybe'. There should be a tilde or accent over the first n but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Could you let me know who did the sign writing on your boats please.

Thanks
Dave
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:47 am

We have a great canal network in Stourbridge, so it's easy to find old boys who paint narrowboats. Each has their own style, and Charles and I used different ones.

Regarding names, think about when you need to use the VHF. Will your new name make sense, and will people 'get it' first time, or will you have to spell it out phonetically each time? I've heard some shocking names broadcast.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Ru88ell wrote:We have a great canal network in Stourbridge, so it's easy to find old boys who paint narrowboats. Each has their own style, and Charles and I used different ones.

Regarding names, think about when you need to use the VHF. Will your new name make sense, and will people 'get it' first time, or will you have to spell it out phonetically each time? I've heard some shocking names broadcast.

Thanks Russell, thats good advice about the name. The current name is a mouthful on the RT. Its a shame we cant just call up with a simple registration mark/call sign, it works ok in aviation.

Dave
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Postby ianrmaciver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Have you thought of vinyl , there are several on line suppliers. I used vinyl for my SSR number and it worked a treat. Not very traditional....but quick.
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Postby Killick Greenie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 pm

ianrmaciver wrote:Have you thought of vinyl , there are several on line suppliers. I used vinyl for my SSR number and it worked a treat. Not very traditional....but quick.

I had actually but thought a painted version might add something. I've got a chap coming up from Sudbury who is a professional sign writer and his work looks fantastic.

Following Russells advice we have settled on the name Tango Delta. This should work over the RT and its the initials of our two boy's. Not exactly original but it works for us.
Killick Greenie
Non Association Member

Return to Other Technical