centerboard problem/questions

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

centerboard problem/questions

Postby zimp » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Dear CC19 skippers,
I have a problem with my centerboard halyard.
During motoring my CC19 to the place where she will stay for the winter I hit something with the centerboard. The centerboard was lifted by the “thing”, one of the advantages of the CC19. But the centerboard felt down after the “thing” with a loud bang. The halyard turned out to be “disconnected” from the centerboard. As far as I can see the wire doesn't seems to be broken but it looks of being disconnected from some hardware that fits the wire to the centerboard.
I had the CC19 lifted in order to inspect the centerboard and to see how to fix it. But with the centerboard in lowered position I couldn't see the point where the wire was connected to the centerboard (point X on the picture) because that point was still inside the hull. So I think I have to remove the centerboard to fix this problem.
To be well prepared for this repair somewhere during the winter I have some questions.
a. Does anybody knows how the wire is connected to the centerboard?
b. What spare parts do I need to fix this?
c. Are this more general parts or do I have to order the parts from Honnor Marine?
d. Any tips on removing and installing the centerboard?

Thanks for your advice.

Bert, CC19 #004, Zimp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:14 am

I had Bob replace mine when I purchased Zephyr. The new wire strop doesn't cost much, but I would think the plate needs to be fully in the slot before you can access it through the inspection port.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:45 pm

I took the inspection port off (the whole unit, not just the unscrewing part), because it leaked. When I did this, I could see the cable where it connects to the centre plate. So I think Russell is right- you have to have the centre plate fully raised in order to access the fixture. Obviously, this has to be done out of the water, as the access hole is below the water line!
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Dear Russel and Charles,

Thanks for the advice on the inspection hole. But our CC19 (serial number 4) has no inspection hole, only a small aft on the top of the centerboard-housing. Trough this hole the wire leaves the housing. But this is a very small hole, just enough for the wire.
Based on your information I may make an inspection hole myself but I do not want the make a hole in by boat below the waterline.:)
According to the attached drawing it seems to be possible to make the hole above the waterline. The big bolt/pivot for the centerboard is also above the waterline in my view, because I have never seen any water leaking around that bolt/pivot.
Do you have any information about the location of the inspection hole in you boats?

Bert, CC19 #004, Zimp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zimp
Non Association Member

Postby erbster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Next time I'm at the barn, I will take some photographs.

The access hole looks like a standard deck hatch, though quite small and is fitted at the aft end and on the starboard side of the centreboard casing. The top of the fitting is (from memory) about 5cm below the top of the casing. I would imagine the position of the hole is quite important, otherwise it will not match the place where the wire is attached to the centre plate. This assumes that the centre plate on your early SA boat is the same as my Honnor boat.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:30 pm

Bert

I have MARY ANN parked on my drive at the moment.

On Monday I will try to remove the inspection hatch and photo the interior.

I am not convinced that the hatch is below the waterline. I will check.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 pm

The hatch is above the waterline. Charles was seeing water leak from his, but it wasn't very tight. At sea I'm sure movement of water in the case would come to the top, hence Charles leaked a bit. I've removed mine in a marina with no problem.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Inspection Hole

Postby seasickwhale » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Bert,

attached you'll find a picture that I took before "Unwrapping" the boat. You can just sse the inspection hole on the very right under the tape.
Happy Sailing

Stephan Radke
CC52 "Herr Nilsson"
seasickwhale
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 am

Hello Bert

I have photographed the centre plate access hatch as promised.

It is positioned exactly 800mm aft of the pivot bolt.

The cable has a simple swaged "nipple" on the end as you can see in the third photo.

PS The hatch is definitely above the waterline.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby zimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Dear Dennis, Charles, Stephan en Russel,

That's a lot of very useful info in a very short time. I'm going to make an access hatch.
Thanks to you I now do know how to fix it.
I'll keep you informed about the result, but that will be after Christmas.:).

Regards,

Bert, CC19 #004, Zimp
zimp
Non Association Member

Next

Return to Other Technical