Forward berth pockets to come unstuck

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Forward berth pockets to come unstuck

Postby popeye » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi,

"Katrina's" canvas pockets to come unstuck from the side after the first hot summer day last wekend.
Has anybody similar problems with the canvas pockets and maybe an advise how to solve it. The velcro was originally fixed with sikaflex by HM.
Always fair winds and following seas

CC106 "Katrina"
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:21 pm

Hello Frank

The forward pockets on Mary Ann were becoming detached when we first saw her at the 2008 Southampton Boat Show. The self-adhesive Velcro was not adhering to the GRP very well.

At our subsequent visit to Honnor Marine at Rochdale when we agreed to buy the boat I pointed this out to Bob (Brown). He said he would sort it out before we collected the boat.

When we did collect Mary Ann, Bob told me that they had re-attached the Velcro with some "very strong super-glue". I did not not ask for any further details. But whatever they used, it has worked, after a full seasons use, the pockets are still in place.

I had already decided that if they came adrift again I would put some eyelets along the top edge of the pockets and hang them from hooks possibly attached to the nuts which keeps the rubbing strake in place. I have not worked out the final details, because I have not needed to (yet).

It good to hear that the weather is improving at Tegernsee, as I am looking forward to my visit in July.

Hope this helps

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re Velcro

Postby Simon Head » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi Frank

All you have to do is to stick the velcro on to the GRP with Sikaflex 291 and the whole issue is resolved.

This is what they used in SA boats.

It just depends how generous HM have been with it- the morel is the more sikaflex the better the bond. I have just bonded a piece of wood for my table to the centre board case with Sikaflex 292- its now on for life!

My boat is now 7 years old and I have had no problems. I had to remove a strip of sikeflexed velcro- it was a bas**** to get off!

My advice is to redo it using a generous amount of sikaflex on the back of the velcro, if you can remove the existing glue the bond will be much better. This also applies to new velcro strip. I managed to do this (peel off the glue carefully on new velco strip).

Regards

Simon
Simon Head
CC19 Association Member

Postby David Hudson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello Frank

May I paraphrase Simon's comments as "Sikaflex 291 is for life".

When my pockets peeled off I looked at the fallout. Only part of the velcro attached to the hull appeared to have made good contact .

My solution; until I have decided whether I want pockets or something more substantial; is to stay with Velcro. Velcro is not an instant stick, It needs an extented curing time and I am going to try laying one side of velcro on the hull and waiting, say overnight, before attaching the velcro on the pockets.

PS Dog watch. Rustie, my beautiful Border Terrier, has made the second quarter berth his own. The only problem is that his BT buddy on the next boat is called Mustie!

I hope you are enjoying your summer of sailing: I remember the summer of love.

Good Sailing
David
C111 Tokoloshe
David Hudson
CC19 Association Member

Velcro problem

Postby Black Sheep » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Following the forum advice I tried to fix the Velcro problem by glueing with sikaflex 291, but unfortunately the result was rather double disappointing: the pockets came off even faster and moreover the sikaflex remained on the hull having attached to it a part of the Velcro glue layer :( Obviously the Velcro glue not only liquefies on warmer days but also has a higher affinity for Sikaflex than for the Velcro backing layer.
Now I removed all sikaflex from the hull again which is a serious job for a rainy or stormy day. Then I tried to peel off the glue layer from the Velcro as suggested. After five hours I really admired Simon's efforts since my peeling speed was approximately 2 inch per hour only. Fortunately my wife discovered meanwhile a fabrics website offering Velcro lookalikes without having a glue layer attached. So finally I replaced the soft band of the original Velcro for the new material and glued everything with Sikaflex 291. I am quite confident that this should work out (if not I will let you know).

Looking forward to pretty sailing without flying pockets,
Black Sheep
CC104
Black Sheep
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:27 pm

After of three seasons of the forward pockets staying in place they have come down on the first and every subsequent warm day this year.

I eventually give up with them when we were in Friesland, took them down altogether and stowed them away.

As a result of living on board for ten days "on the trot" it gave us the opportunity to consider what was really needed.

I decided to modify and refit the canvas pockets above the quarter berths.

See the attached image:

I am confident that they will stay in place, I have fitted brass eyelets and attached with M6 SS screws.

I am planning to make some mahogany marine ply shelves/rack/cubby holes storage arrangement for permanent attachment where the pockets were originally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Dennis wrote:I am planning to make some mahogany marine ply shelves/rack/cubby holes storage arrangement for permanent attachment where the pockets were originally.

I've had the very same thought, but not because the pockets fall of, as mine don't. It's amazing what you think up when you spend time 'at sea'.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Dennis wrote:I am planning to make some mahogany marine ply shelves/rack/cubby holes storage arrangement for permanent attachment where the pockets were originally.

Hello all

I have done what I have previously threatened.

See the album "Mary Ann Storage Cupboards" for the final results.

I will let the pictures tell the story.

I used sapele face marine plywood (25 year guarantee) for most of the construction. With SS screw and "Cascamite" used for joining.

Capecutter 19 cabin by capecutter19, on Flickr
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:23 pm

Wow. The side bits would work for me, but I prefer to sleep on the fore peak berth. I guess your next trick is to make some shorter cushions?

The grain on the wood looks lovely. What did you finish it with?
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Hello Russell

I also was happy on the Vee berth. However, the crew found it "claustrophobic".

The crew is happy with the quarter berths, but I find them a bit narrow at the forward end.

I have solved the dilema by making extensions for the quarter berths which pull out from under the cushion and stop at the centreboard case. This gives an extra 15.5 inches (400mm) width.
Bob is going to make me cushions for the extensions using the same fabric as the originals.

I am not going to bother with cushions for the area in front of the cupboards as I consider it is a waste of volume. I do intend however to carpet the area.
I am looking for some nylon or polypropylene which would be suitable. I will probably take the carpet up the hull to the underside of the new storage units. Double sided carpet tape will keep it in place.

The varnish is "Ronseal Outdoor Varnish"
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Next

Return to Other Technical