Forward berth pockets to come unstuck

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Postby David Peck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi Russell,

Yes, I have just registered for "La Semaine du Golfe" in May.

Rgds
David P
CC94 Whistling Rufus
David Peck
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:08 pm

Dennis wrote:The crew is happy with the quarter berths, but I find them a bit narrow at the forward end.

I have solved the dilema by making extensions for the quarter berths which pull out from under the cushion and stop at the centreboard case. This gives an extra 15.5 inches (400mm) width.
Bob is going to make me cushions for the extensions using the same fabric as the originals.

Just an update.

I have posted some photos of the above mod. in the album "Mary Ann Modifications"

Tried them out last night, everything I hoped for. No more cramped nights for me. :D
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby SimonW » Thu May 08, 2014 9:39 am

Well at least Bob is consistent in what he does, all of my pockets fell off before the boat had even hit the water. Having used some velcro which clearly doesn't adhere well to the flow coat, you would think Honnor Marine would solve what is a simple, but oft commented upon problem. Underneath the velcro they have applied what feels like a bead of silicone sealant - it certainly isn't adhesive and we all know how slippery silicone is.

I think I shall be talking to Sikaflex directly........:mad:
SimonW
CC19 Association Member

Postby Donald » Thu May 08, 2014 12:55 pm

I have this problem too. I have a theory that the self adhesive on the Velcro disagrees with the sikaflex, if that is what it is. I have bought some non-adhesive Velcro and will replace it with this, plus Sikaflex, and let you know if successful.
Donald
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 pm

I can confirm that the self adhesive Velcro does not like to adhere to the FlowCoat. And the warmer it gets, the worse it gets.

You can see my permanent solution(s) in the album "Mary Ann Storage Cupboards".
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Ru88ell » Thu May 08, 2014 8:16 pm

I once tried to remove some of the Velcro from inside Zephyr. It was a hell of a job. The SA boats must have used Sikkaflex.
Ru88ell
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Fri May 09, 2014 8:32 pm

I used a non-marine adhesive filler in a tube, as it was a lot cheaper than sikaflex and does not get involved with the briney (:eek:). No problems yet after 2 seasons, with regular use.
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Black Sheep » Sun May 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Just for your information, my solution to the pockets issue as posted in 2012 is still doing perfectly: they never came off again:)
Best regards,
Michel
Black Sheep
Black Sheep
CC19 Association Member

Previous

Return to Other Technical