Judgement of second hand CC19

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

Judgement of second hand CC19

Postby popeye » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi
I would like to buy a second hand CC19 and therefore I need some advice on what I have to look out for in context with exceeding scuffing or covered defects at both versions SA and HM build.

Frank
popeye
CC19 Association Member

Re: Judgement of second hand CC19

Postby Grant Franks » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:58 am

I'd like to resurrect this thread...
I'm hoping to buy a second hand CC19. I have a budget of 15k and would appreciate advice on:
- is this a reasonable budget?
- what should I be looking out for, especially on an older CC19?
- are there any significant differences between the SA and UK CC19s?

Thanks.
Grant Franks

Re: Judgement of second hand CC19

Postby Graham Card » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:27 am

Hi Grant.

I can't say if my experiences are typical but I purchased a 2006 CC19 at a negotiated price approx 10% above your budget. I was a complete novice at the time, and I believe the seller sold the boat in genuine ignorance of some of the issues but I uncovered a number of problems that, with a more knowledgable eye, could have been spotted.

The most serious was a rotten mast that only fully came to light some months after purchase. But the rot had been at work for some time and although internal to the mast should have been noticed by me due to the mast band having "dragged" some 30mm down the mast leaving an obvious shadow. Other signs are small areas of surface deterioration and a very slight misalignment laterally along the mast joint ( most are made of two or three joined lengths) - this is a sign of the lamination separating. Failing to notice these signs cost me the best part of £1k ! I also found the spinlocks and cleats were badly worn and required replacement - another £200. And the cabin window leaked (a common problem I believe) which wasn't too expensive to put right but very labour intensive.

Although not an age issue specifically mine also lacked anchor/steaming lights (which I needed) and I have added a compass and a new depth finder. The cumulative cost of these improvements wasn't cheap!

It's all been a bit of an experience repairing and improving my boat which has taught me a lot - but at a cost! But the rest of the boat was sound, and just needed a damn good clean, and we love it now - no regrets, just a few financial bruises.

Hope this helps.

Graham (Bella Mia sail 76)
Graham Card
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical