What’s happening under the bow roller chain plate

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

What’s happening under the bow roller chain plate

Postby Julian Porter » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:45 pm

If you remove the inspection plate in the bow you can get into the compartment under the bow roller chain plate.
I suspect I have a leak through one of the bolts through the deck. I’ve take a few photos which show a few puzzling things.
Firstly the light comes through the deck right at the bow suggesting the deck is quite thin. If this is true it’s not the best place for the staple used for the pulley used to drop the staysail.
The other mystery is what’s all the mastic/foam along the seams where the hull and deck come together.
Has anyone else looked under the roller chain plate?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Re: What’s happening under the bow roller chain plate

Postby Nick Phillips » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:30 pm

Hi Julian
I haven’t yet removed the bow roller on Minnie but the look of yours suggests the same problem I have had on other deck fittings. I have removed and reseated all the transom fittings, bowsprit heel mounting, most fairleads and cleats for similar staining on the fittings. The sealant was very thin/non-existent and water was getting through. Definitely worth taking the bow roller off and re-seating. My preference is for butyl rubber in tape form - simply stick on the fitting, tighten the bolts gently to get a squeeze and leave for 24-48 hours then nip tight. I have found this very reliable on a variety of boats. Some prefer Sikaflex but this can make subsequent removal difficult.

As to the translucency it is slightly unnerving but I don’t think an issue. However Minnie doesn’t have the extra staple as the Downhaul fits to the staysail tack fitting.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical