What’s happening under the bow roller chain plate

For anything not covered by the above categories.....

What’s happening under the bow roller chain plate

Postby Julian Porter » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:45 pm

If you remove the inspection plate in the bow you can get into the compartment under the bow roller chain plate.
I suspect I have a leak through one of the bolts through the deck. I’ve take a few photos which show a few puzzling things.
Firstly the light comes through the deck right at the bow suggesting the deck is quite thin. If this is true it’s not the best place for the staple used for the pulley used to drop the staysail.
The other mystery is what’s all the mastic/foam along the seams where the hull and deck come together.
Has anyone else looked under the roller chain plate?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julian Porter
CC19 Association Member

Re: What’s happening under the bow roller chain plate

Postby Nick Phillips » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:30 pm

Hi Julian
I haven’t yet removed the bow roller on Minnie but the look of yours suggests the same problem I have had on other deck fittings. I have removed and reseated all the transom fittings, bowsprit heel mounting, most fairleads and cleats for similar staining on the fittings. The sealant was very thin/non-existent and water was getting through. Definitely worth taking the bow roller off and re-seating. My preference is for butyl rubber in tape form - simply stick on the fitting, tighten the bolts gently to get a squeeze and leave for 24-48 hours then nip tight. I have found this very reliable on a variety of boats. Some prefer Sikaflex but this can make subsequent removal difficult.

As to the translucency it is slightly unnerving but I don’t think an issue. However Minnie doesn’t have the extra staple as the Downhaul fits to the staysail tack fitting.
Cheers
Nick
#85 Minnie, Suffolk
Nick Phillips
CC19 Association Member

Postby Steve Bradley » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

On the subject of bow roller fittings, my boat #11 (Bandoola) is a South African build and doesn’t have a bow roller fitted! Can anyone help me with where to source a suitable one (since it has to be mounted offset to starboard) and the likely cost?

What about anchor chain/rode stowage? Do I need a hawse pipe on deck and chain locker below?

Many thanks

Steve
Steve Bradley
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:52 pm

Hi Steve

Regarding the sourcing of a bow roller, I would try the current builders (Honnor Marine) first.

I do not know of anyone who has fitted a hawsepipe to a CC19. Most seem to contain the anchor rode in some sort of bucket or bag and position it in the foredeck well.

I currently use a flexible bucket which I think is really intended for gardening use. I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage and cut a neat fitting lid from an old rubber car mat. To stop it sliding around it stands on a piece of antislip rubber mat.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Steve Bradley » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:21 am

Thanks Dennis,

I’ll drop Honor Marine a line to enquire if I can source one to retro fit to Bandoola.

The rode stowage solution you use seems to be a common one looking at the forum entries… I did spot that one person has installed a hawsepipe with the chain going down beneath the forward v berth, but I’m loathe to make too many additional holes in my boat if I can get away with an alternative practical solution. I’ll get a garden bucket from the local garden centre (I’ve actually got one lying on its side in the outboard well which serves to prevent the tails of the main sheet and mooring warps from disappearing down there whilst still allowing self draining.

What is the preferred type of anchor? My boat came with a Danforth anchor (articulated twin triangular blades) and a pal of mine at Rutland SC has given me a claw style anchor (fixed stock with a claw like plough blade) to try out. To be honest we don’t usually deploy an anchor on Rutland Water since we either return to the club pontoons or we might visit Whitwell Creek pontoon on the north shore, although we have been known in the past (when I had a Jaguar 22 with a CQR anchor) to drop the hook in the more secluded Barnsdale Creek for lunch and sunbathing/snoozing. The CQR (Plough style blade with an articulated stock) performed very well and stowed lying on the J22’s foredeck on retaining buffers and lashed in place with shock cords. That boat had a hawsepipe and chain locker arrangement, but it was a bit of a faff feeding the chain back down the pipe by hand during recovery, so I think I may prefer the bucket on deck stowage solution since the CC19 has the foredeck ‘well’ design.

I’m planning on a small ‘local’ excursion to the Broads in a couple of weeks (I know I’ll have missed the CC19 mini rally by now) so I’ll need a mud weight since anchors aren’t permitted on the Broads. Any idea where I can get one and the best size?

Cheers Steve (#11 Bandoola)
Steve Bradley
CC19 Association Member

Postby Justin Greig » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:40 pm

Steve, this is what I use:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DRHD5CZ? ... tails&th=1
Consensus seems to be 1kg per metre - so I bought a 10kg weight

Pity you missed the Broads mini-rally - we had a great time, even if it did blow a hooley at times and the rain froze before it hit the deck!
Justin
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Postby Justin Greig » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:44 pm

this was our route:
https://footpathapp.com/routes/412d029a ... 6dc5981629

Highlights were overnight stays at the waterpump moorings on Horsey (dinner at the Nelson) and Upton Dyke (missed out of the route shown on the above link - but well worht the detour for a cider and pig festival at community pub The White Horse)
Justin
Justin Greig
CC19 Association Member

Return to Other Technical