Centreplate up or down when leaving the boat?

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Centreplate up or down when leaving the boat?

Postby Nick Anderson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:44 pm

Do you leave your centreplate up or down when leaving your boat on a mooring or in a marina? Having just lifted Scout out of the fertile waters of Poole Harbour it was clear why the centreplate was getting stiffer - it was absolutely covered in weed and barnacles as of course it wasn't anti fouled. The rest of the hull was not too bad. The biggest problem however was when I tried to raise the board to put her on the trailer as the inside of the centreboard case was fouled up with barnacles and the plate would hardly go in all the way even after being pressure washed clean.

I've been leaving the plate down thinking that it made the boat more stable in the event of a gale or big wash, but it has left me with a bit of a problem. If I left her with the plate up will the fouling still happen and wedge the plate in?

All views gratefully received!
Nick Anderson
CC19 Association Member

Re: Centreplate up or down when leaving the boat?

Postby Richard Rickard » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Nick,
My boat 'Nettie' spends the summer on a swinging mooring at Mylor Yacht Harbour, and has done for the past ten years. I always leave her with the plate up, for the reasons you describe (and because it can get very shallow around me). She always lies in the same way as the other yachts around her, and the plate has always dropped/lifted cleanly. In a strong blow she does not seem to bounce around any more than neighbouring boats, many of which are Shrimpers. So my advice is: plate up.
Best wishes,
Richard
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Postby Robert Alston » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm

Nick

Plate up, no question.

CC19's are very stable and even if left out in a gale they won't capsize. I have a friend whose CC19 was sadly caught in such a gale while on her mooring and the genoa unfurled; the sail blew out but the boat survived.

I keep my boat on a swinging mooring with plenty of water depth, plate up, in all weathers and don't have any problems.

Robert Alston
Robert Alston
CC19 Association Member

Postby Nick Anderson » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks, really helpful. Plate up next year. May not be able to ever get it down again anyway!
Nick Anderson
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails