Mooring

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Mooring

Postby Tim Ellert » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:32 pm

I am planning on keeping my CC19 on a 1/2 drying mooring from August onwards and i wondered what the best way to attach the mooring to the boat is?

I have a furling yankee attached to the end of the bowsprit (and a furling staysail!) and don't really want to lower or detach this or fold in the bowsprit to avoid the waterstay fouling on the mooring

So i wondered what my options are / whats best? A bridle? Connect to the base of the waterstay? connect through the anchor roller onto the samson post?

Chichester Harbour have a guide to moorings which shows a shrimper attached at the base of the Waterstay but i am not sure how easy that would be to connect (see: http://www.conservancy.co.uk/assets/ass ... t_2011.pdf)

It will be the first time i have used a mooring for any boat - so any help, advice or instructions would be really appreciated :)

(i will attach a photo of the bowsprit without the yankee attached as i think it has a custom waterstay rope)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Ellert
CC19 Association Member

Re: Mooring

Postby erbster » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:43 pm

I too am considering a mooring, but I have never had a long-term mooring before.
My instinct is to attach to a cleat on the box or else to the samson post. The water stay eye seems rather too low to use as an attachment point.

I know a number of other forum members have a mooring and I hope they might share some of the detail about how they secure their boat...
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:06 pm

This is a helpful topic- thankyou for raising it

I am booked on a visitor's swinging mooring near Helford next week and I had not even considered the problem of fouling the bob stay.

Like Tim I have roller furling for the Genoa and the staysail. When mooring (eg on the recent rally) in shorts spaces on a pontoon I found it was fairly quick and easy to raise the bowsprit to the point where the starboard bowsprit shroud is tight against the forestay, and to tie it there using the Genoa sheets to the mast or forestay. That position would take the bowsprit well above the mooring line as it comes in through the fair lead. The bobstay will be pulled up almost vertical to the raised end of the bowsprit, but it comes in on the port side so if I put the mooring line on the starboard fair lead, do you think that would be OK?

You will gather, this is all my thinking aloud - no experience of actually mooring at all, so comments most welcome.

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Dennis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:30 am

Hello gentlemen

Mary Ann is on a swinging mooring for 7 to 8 months per year. I raise my bobstay out of the way of the mooring rope and chain because of my experience with my previous boat. The bobstay fitting at the waterline (on my Winkle Brig) snapped due to fatigue fracture. The boat in any breeze constantly swung from side to side (my CC19 does the same) this resulted in the mooring rope putting cyclical pressure on the bobstay. Consequently, the mooring rope used to wear appreciably at the point of contact requiring annual replacement. However the real problem was the constant on-off lateral load on the bobstay which caused the fitting (a stainless steel eyebolt) to fatigue fracture.

You can see my solution in the album "Mary Ann Modifications". Before I used chain for the bobstay, I had the standard SS wire. I then connected the Dyneema lifting cord (halyard?) to the bobstay with a 25mm SeaSure block, the block was free to run along the bobstay and find it's own position.

I use the starboard fairlead for the mooring rope which is the opposite side to the (raised) bobstay. Also I have a rubber anti-shock device fitted to the mooring rope, this is positioned so that as the boat swings (to starboard), it is the rubber shock stopper which makes contact with the stem and not the mooring rope. This prevents any damage to either the GRP stem or the mooring rope.

Northumbria Water who own Kielder Water also insist on a secondary mooring chain which will restrain the boat in the event of the main mooring rope failing. I bring this onto the foredeck in the gap between the bow-roller and the stem. The 6mm chain is inside clear plastic tube to brevent any damage to the boat.This chain is attached to a 10mm eyenut fitted to the bowsprit pivot bolt via a snapshackle.

This arrangement makes it very easy to attach and detach the mooring rope and secondary chain from the foredeck.

I hope this description is of some use. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Malcolm Sadler » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks Dennis. The information is of much use. No need to raise the bowsprit, only the water stay , but I will have to find a rubber snubber before next week!

Hope to see you at Kielder before the season is out

Malcolm
Malcolm Sadler
Honorary President

Postby Chris Wicks » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:21 am

13987524_10153936912863299_2515425207853597471_o.jpg
Kaliope is on a swinging mooring each summer since 2006. The ground tackle (2 anchors, chain and rope) then rises towards the surface to a swivel. From the swivel two lines (about 22mm) rise to the surface. The longer one has a float attached before ending in a loop. This is our pick up. We pass the loop under the bob stay and slip it over the samson post. A permanent bow line attached to the bowsprit retaining bolt makes a secure lashing over the mooring loop. It cannot slip off. The float (that could knock against the boat) is tied up (from our dinghy) so it hangs from the water stay chain. It keeps it neatly out of the way.

Before we leave on our dinghy we detach it from the second shorter mooring line (rising from the swivel) that ends in a substantial stainless steel sprung hook. Having unhooked the dinghy the hook then goes on the water stay fitting. This is the line that does all the work, being shorter than our pick up line. The above arrangements in an often choppy harbour has never failed, or worn or caused any problem. I regularly dive on the mooring (in about 2.5 meters) but have the advantage of clear warm water.

The size of the pick up line is a bit big for the fairlead so as it has no tension when the water stay line is fitted, it sits neatly between the bowsprit and hull in the little groove that retains it in position.

Hope that makes sense

Chris

Kaliope

Platania, Pelion, Greece
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Chris Wicks » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:56 am

Mooring detail, Platania, Pelion
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Postby Tim Ellert » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:33 pm

fantastic detailed posts.. many thanks for all the help / advice :)
Tim Ellert
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails