Mainsail sheet arrangements.

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Mainsail sheet arrangements.

Postby Dennis » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:36 pm

One aspect of the CC19 which has always caused me some annoyance is the mainsail sheeting arrangements. 90% of the time it works fine, however when going about (if not sheeted well in) there is always the possibility of the slack sheet(s) becomes wrapped around any one of a number of items: mooring cleats, brackets on transom, boarding ladder, tiller pilot etc. :(

Over the years of ownership (now eight) I have given this a lot of thought and have come up with many solutions (in my head). I have finally done something about it.

I have been aware of the modified arrangements which Mike Brooke used on "Sea Badger II" when circumnavigating the UK in 2008 and have seen similar arrangements on other boats e.g. "Aurora". I did consider making a modified version using a fixed horse made from flexible stainless steel rigging wire rather than the rope version used by Mike and others.
However, after seeing the rigid version used by Stewart Grant and John Wichers on "Moth" I thought I would try a similar version.

I duly bought some 8mm dia. 316 SS rod with the intention of making the device and fitting it in time for the 2016 Rally at Chichester Harbour. I failed to meet my own deadline and duly set off for Chichester with my original fittings.
As luck would have it, Mike Brooke presented me with his Mark 1 modified device at the rally. This gave me the opportunity to try it out before I did anything more permanent (or expensive). This gave me the incentive to proceed with the manufacture of my own version.

You can see how it has turned out by clicking on the link below:

http://capecutter19association.org/gall ... fullsize=1

I have deliberately utilised the original transom mounted brackets so that I can easily revert to to original or mike Brooke arrangements if I wish. :)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: Mainsail sheet arrangements.

Postby Richard Rickard » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Dennis
I am having problems downloading your link - neither my laptop nor my ipad will allow 'full size' images. Is there some other way you can show us what you have done, as I have been seriously considering the same issue having seen the very smart solid version. Many thanks.
Richard
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Postby Dennis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Hello Richard

I suspect you cannot download a "Fullsize Image" because you are a "Non Association Member". I suspect only "CC19 Association Members" will be able to access the image.

Thanks for flagging this up Richard, it is not what I intended. :(

I will email you a copy directly. ;)
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Adrian Langford » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Very neat - does it work well, i.e. has your main sheet stopped fouling?

To date, when gybing I have pulled the forward two falls of rope in by hand then let go at just the right moment to prevent fouling or a shoulder injury! Your solution appears much more elegant.

Cheers,

Adrian.
'Meisje' No. 64
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Postby Peter Nuttall » Tue May 22, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi Dennis,
That looks a really useful mod,
I’m thinking of doing something similar but at present I’m a good 5000 miles away from my boat on a bigger boat.
As I have the time and the materials, However not the dimensions. Could you possibly tell me the distance (center to center) of the fittings on the transom. and maybe the hight above the tiller?

Cheers,
Pete
Peter Nuttall
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Tue May 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Hello Peter

The fittings on the transom are the originals fitted by Honnor Marine when they built the boat. I have utilised them simply because they are there and it also gives me the opportunity to revert to the original sheeting arrangement if I want to.

Whereas my current arrangement is better than the original it is not perfect, it is still possible to get the loose sheet snagged when going about, although it does not happen as often.

The bespoke horse fitted by Stuart Grant to Moth is a better arrangement.

I do not have the dimensions to hand, but I am hauling the boat out tomorrow in readiness for the rally which starts this weekend. I will try and remember to take some measurements.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby Tobydcwalker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:38 am

Dear Dennis
Did you ever manage to find the dimensions? This arrangement would make perfect sense to me and I would like to try and have something made up. Any advice most welcome. Thank you.
Tobydcwalker
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:03 am

Hello Toby and welcome to the forum.

The dimensions on my boat would probably not be the same on your boat. Yours is SA built whereas mine is a HM product. I doubt whether any two boats would be identical, especially in the positioning of these brackets which is entirely dependent on where the hole have been drilled and is not critical anyway. :(

I would recommend that you change nothing on your boat until you have had a bit of experience with it. If you find that you a have problem you will then be in a better position to deal with it.

I still have the makeshift "horse" arrangement on my boat. It is not perfect, a slack mainsheet can easily get snagged under the brackets. I really should get a proper one made.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Postby erbster » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:09 pm

I agree with Dennis - take time to understand the boat. The tangling is usually only a problem when gybing. To minimise the issue, try to pull in the slack as the boom swings towards the centre line - its this slack that often gets snagged.

Cape Cutter #86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
Charles Erb
CC86 Aurora
travellingaurora.wordpress.com
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails