Kicker as Preventer

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Kicker as Preventer

Postby Andy Yates » Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 am

I've just watched a video where the Vang/kicker was moved to the toe rail on a run so as to act as a preventer. I was wondering if it could be done on a CC with a soft shackle on the grab rail and a snap shackle on the kicker to allow it to be moved across easily. Does anyone see why it wouldn't work ? I'm still finding my way with our CC so I'm not sure of the loads that this would put on the gear but I like the idea as it looks like a simple set up and less rope over the deck.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Re: Kicker as Preventer

Postby ianrmaciver » Sat May 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi Andy,
I've used the kicker as a preventer for a couple of years , anchoring to a shackle fitted to the shroud adjuster..then clipped on. Not hugely pretty but it works and is very convenient .
Regarding loadings , I guess preventers always feel a bit stressed....but then so do gybes...and with a modicum of caution I haven't had any problems.
Your soft shackle idea sounds good , but I think the shroud anchor is more secure than the grab rail.
Good luck.
Ian
ianrmaciver
CC19 Association Member

Re: Kicker as Preventer

Postby Andy Yates » Sat May 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Good to see its been tried on a CC. I thought the shroud chain plate might have been too far aft but I'll give it a go. The turn buckle slot will take a soft shackle and it can stay in situ until needed without looking too ugly.
Andy :D
Andy Yates
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails