Main Outhaul

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Main Outhaul

Postby Adrian Langford » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 am

Dear all,

We currently have our outhaul tied off to the end of the boom. This makes it difficult and potentially highly entertaining when attempting to adjust it while sailing, and if left tight, will result in the sail becoming stretched along its foot.

Whilst reading an article about getting the best out of a gaff rig, I notice that outhauls are important to Shrimper sailors, which got me wondering about what any of you do out there.

I'm considering a low-tech solution of a 4:1 purchase using a set of 2 double blocks with the string running along the boom to its bow end. Does 4:1 sound about right?

Cheers,

Adrian & Roger.
"Meisje"
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Re: Main Outhaul

Postby Greybeard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:58 am

I think 4:1 might be a bit of overkill on a sail that size, Adrian. I have a simple 2:1 on Falcon with the line held by a jamming cleat mounted on top of the boom. It seems to work fine.
Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Adrian Langford » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks. Have you gone for pulleys on this or simply run the line through the clew and a shackle?

Do you cleat it near the mast end of the boom?

Hope to see you soon,

Adrian.
Adrian Langford
CC19 Association Member

Postby Greybeard » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:45 am

Just a single pulley with a becket at the boom end, then a loop through the clew, Adrian. the clew gets pretty close to the pulley when it's tight so there's not really enough room for a shackle too. The cleat is about a foot or so in from the boom end.
I'm hoping to be up at Kielder by lunchtime-ish on Monday packing the boat away before bring it home again for the winter on Tuesday. If you're around I'll get the kettle on.

Steve
Greybeard
CC19 Association Member

Postby Dennis » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:06 pm

Hello all.

Have you looked at the arrangement which Ian Barnes devised for Ladybird?

Check out the photos in Ladybird's photo gallery, they should be on P2.

BTW I use a double block (simply because I had one) on the boom end, and simply pass the cord through the cringle on the sail (no block here). The cord is lead to a simple jamming cleat mounted on top of the boom.
If you look at "CC 106 "Katrina" modifications" photo gallery you will see the arrangement I use, it is visible in the photos of the lazy-jack system.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails