One Headsail?

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

One Headsail?

Postby basin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:27 pm

I haven't seen this topic discussed: It seems to me that the genoa would typically get hung up on the forestay when coming about (whether there is a staysail in use or especially when there is not). Has anyone considered or attempted to stay the mast to the bowsprit alone and forgo the stay to the stem? This would require that she sail with only one headsail, but if that is a roller furling genoa it seems that you would be covered in most wind situations. Just roll it up a bit more each time you take another reef in the main. How practical would this be with the CC19?
basin
Non Association Member

Re: One Headsail?

Postby Chris Wicks » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:15 pm

It would defeat the pleasure of a cutter rig... The genoa would only snag the forestay in light air. I finally realised the genoa can quickly overpower the boat, but when put away the jib is under powered. (around low f4 say)... Since investing in a yankee I find it a far more useful and practical combination with the jib...
Chris Wicks
CC19 Association Member

Location: Platanias, Pelion, Greece and Funtington, Chichester, West Sussex.

Re: One Headsail?

Postby erbster » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Basin,

Its a matter of technique to tack the genoa/yankee efficiently. Here is what I have found:
1. Release the genoa/yankee early when tacking and take up the slack on the new upwind side.
2. Allow the staysail to back; this will let the clew of the genoa/yankee slide along. When the wind catches the yankee/genoa, it will pull it past.
3. Keep the knot on the yankee/genoa sheet small (I push the middle of the sheet through the eye and thread the rope through itself.

I agree with Chris' comment; its the cutter rig which makes the CC such an easily handled boat adaptable to a wind range of wind strengths
erbster
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails