Rigging tension

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Rigging tension

Postby Julian Fisher » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Salty Dog is now in the water at Port Dinorwic Marina (fabulous spot, great people) and I'm in the process of sorting everything out. Can anyone give me any pointers about suitable tension for the shrouds and forestay and also bobstay and bowsprit shrouds? I'm assuming not too tight but would appreciate any advice.
Can't wait to actually get sailing. Next week with luck.

Julian
Julian Fisher
CC19 Association Member

Re: Rigging tension

Postby Dennis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Hello Julian

I remember the first time I wet the bottom of Mary Ann, that was six years ago, and I still have not stopped grinning. :D

Regarding the rigging tension, the shrouds should be tight enough so that the lee shroud does not go slack when the boat is pressed hard. I achieve this tensioning the forestay until the shrouds go "twang" when plucked.
The first time I rigged the boat I adjusted the length of the shrouds so that the mast was vertical, I then wired the bottle screws so that they would not move, they have stayed like that ever since, all subsequent tensioning being done with the forestay.

The bobstay tension is not important, because it is automatically set when you tension the jib/yankee luff.
The bowsprit shrouds should be tight enough to prevent the bowsprit moving laterally, again the lee shroud should not go slack then the boat is hard pressed.

I hope this helps.
Cheers

Dennis

CC19 #100 Mary Ann
Dennis
CC19 Association Member

Re: Rigging tension

Postby Julian Fisher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for that Dennis. I've already taken up all the slack on the forestay but still not at twanging levels. The mast seems upright viewed from front and side.I think I'll have to sail her and see how things look then Not yet been able to do that because winds were a bit too strong and I want to bed the sails in gradually. Know what you mean about the grin. Salty Dog has already attracted quite a few admirers.
Julian Fisher
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails