Staysail dimensions

The prime movers for your Cape Cutter 19.....

Staysail dimensions

Postby ColinMcD » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:43 pm

This is a broadcast enquiry to see if anyone can tell me where I might find the (standard?) dimensions for the CC19 staysail, ie., luff, leech and foot lengths. Is there anyone who knows where this info is published, or is there no such thing as a standard design for the staysail?

The reason I'm asking is that I have neglected to take some of the measurements of my existing old staysail which sits on Foxglove (56) at present in Argyll while I try from Oslo to sort out the required foot length for a new staysail ordered from Jeckells.

Jeckells tell me the standard measurements for a Staysail are luff 16.0', leech 13,96' and foot 8,66'. The 16' luff is certainly OK as I have checked this on the boat, but a foot at 8,66' sounds a bit long to me. And of course the leech length plays its role as far as sheeting angle is concerned. Any intelligence, advice, words of wisdom etc. would be very welcome ... ;)

(I've already taken delivery of a new Yankee which looks really excellent on the boat (hoisted ashore) and which I am extremely keen to test out when we next get over in June for a whole 4 weeks on Foxglove !!)

Colin McDougall
Foxglove (56)
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Re: Staysail dimensions

Postby Paul Turner » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Colin

I can go and measure it for you. I'venot launched yet so sails are still in their bags. I agree the foot sounds too big. Will get back to you this evening.

Paul
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby Paul Turner » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi Colin

I've measured my stay sail. My measurements are nothing like the ones you quote.

Luff: 13ft 8.5 inches
Leach: 12' 3"
Foot: 7' 3.25"

Mine is one of the newer boats(125) with sails made by Hyde sails. It may be useful f someone else in the association checks my figures to see if they've changed over years. The Cape Cutter web site quotes that the staysail is 4.58 square metres which is 49.3 square feet but doesn't give more detailed measurements.

Regards

Paul
Paul Turner
CC19 Association Member

Location: Dorset, 6 miles from Weymouth and close to Ringstead Bay

Postby ColinMcD » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Paul - that's really useful info. Many thanks. I'll follow through with a PM on this when I've had a further word with Jeckells. Clearly a considereable discrepancy here ... :confused:
Colin.
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Postby Richard Rickard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:11 am

Colin,
I measured mine too recently for handicap purposes, and got results much more like Paul Turners:
Luff 425cm (13ft 11ins), Leach 385cm (12ft 8ins), Foot 229cm (7ft 6ins) = sail area 4.377 sq m

The Yankee measures:
550 x 400 x 320 cms = 6.325 sq m

My sails are by Hyde on one of the last of the South African builds.
Hope this helps,

Richard Rickard
Richard ('Nettie' 50)
Richard Rickard
Non Association Member

Postby ColinMcD » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Richard - again, many thanks for taking the trouble. It bears out my suspicion that the Jeckells measurements for the Staysail are way off the mark! Useful too to have an angle on your yankee, though I particularly asked Jeckells to go for a longer luff on my yankee and utilise more of the available 'slot' potential that the bowsprit fore triangle offers, though I'll grant that above the gaff jaws that potential is probably fairly limited: I've ended up with a slightly 'taller' version of yours which makes it by my calculation maybe about 15% bigger. 7.25sq m. And I'm well pleased with its appearance and cut so far. A very different sail however from the old (and baggy) full genoa which Foxglove already has.

More anon ...

Colin.
Foxglove (56)
ColinMcD
CC19 Association Member

Return to Hull, Rigging and Sails